Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Finally, Monday morning had arrived. Andrew was looking forward to spending time with Jasmine. Today had to go perfectly in order to get his mind off what happened at the Gentleman's Club. He'd even made sure to double check his appearance in the mirror before he left. If his mother had noticed the sudden change in his mood, she hadn't said anything.

When he had arrived at the Winters' home, the butler informed him that Jasmine was in the garden with her sister. Nodding in acknowledgement, Andrew went round the large gothic style mansion to where the garden was located and nearly bumped into a small boy who came rushing at him.

"Please don't tell him I'm here?" the young lad asked, pouting slightly.

Andrew could immediately tell the boy was related to Jasmine. Their facial expressions were quite similar. "Don't tell who?" he asked, smiling at him.

"My tutor, Mr Horace. He's boring and makes me act silly."

"He's teaching you to be a gentleman," Lord Huntingdon said.

"Being a gentleman is no fun. I can't eat how I want in front of people and I can't play with the frogs in the pond because Jasmine won't let me." The little boy crossed his arms and frowned. Then, as if realising he had been talking to a stranger, he asked. "Who are you, anyway? I'm Jasper."

"My name is Andrew and I've come to see your sister. It's nice to meet you, Jasper," Andrew chuckled. This boy was something else. He wondered what the rest of the Winters were like.

Jasper grimaced. "You fancy her?"

Andrew was saved from a response when a deep voice boomed. "JASPER! JASPER, WHERE ARE YOU? THIS IS NOT HOW A YOUNG GENTLEMAN BEHAVES!"

The young boy hid behind Andrew. 

"Come on," Andrew whispered to him. "Let's hide in the garden and scare you're sisters before Mr Horace takes you back for your lesson,"

Jasper's eyes brightened. "Really?"

"Really,"

They made their way into the garden and Andrew was pleased to see Jasmine and her sister completely emmersed in their painting to notice them sneaking up behind them. The two ladies had their backs to him as they were seated on one of the benches. Jasper had cleverly cupped a frog he had captured nearby and they slowly crept towards the two unsuspecting sisters.

The earl had no idea why he was doing something as strange as this but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

Fantastic, he thought to himself. First I talk to a horse and now I'm scaring women. I must be going insane.

When they reached their targets, Andrew motioned with his head for Jasper to release the frog. The litle boy nodded and flung the slimy creature right between his sisters. Jasmine shrieked and tried to scurry away when she noticed the little green creature that had jumped onto the empty space next to her. Juliet stood abruptly, knocking over her pastels and canvass.

Behind them, they heard laughter and before Jasmine could stop herself, she yelled at her youngest sibling.

"Jasper, you toad! That was not funny!"

It was only after she had voiced that statement when she realised Lord Huntingdon was laughing alongside her brother.

"I think... it was... extremely funny," Andrew managed to say, still trying to hold back his laughter.

"Lord Huntingdon?" Jasmine asked in shock. Had he really been part of such a stunt? She didn't think he was capable of such a thing. He most certainly didn't seem like the type of person who'd scare simple maidens for the fun of it.