Chapter 10: Shattered Reality

Five months. Hundreds of days, tens of weeks, thousands of hours, millions of seconds. Almost half a year. They searched for me for over five weeks. They thought I was dead, they gave me a grave. The whole time I had been alive.

She said I was probably tortured, probably put in a hyperbaric chamber for to long. Probably shot multiple times. Most likely supposed to be dead.

I couldn't remember a thing.

Nya was dead. Coulson was alive. I couldn't remember anything. I didn't recognize my body, it's sagging frame, or the scars that littered the edges of my face.

My sister is dead. She fell, she died. Zerina made it out. That's all that's playing in my mind, it all seems like it was minutes ago. Possibly seconds. It can't be months. All I seem to know is that I was double-crossed, and whoever she worked for wanted to take all of SHIELD down.

But here I was, in a hospital bed, with Meredith Renning as my doctor( Layla's sister who was currently engaged, the ring said it all). And I had no idea why or when or how.

But it's been so much longer since than. I couldn't conjure up one remaining memory of that whole time. And I was so frustrated.

From what Renning told me, I couldn't even remember the last few hours, in which I tried to stab Steve and Bradley shot me.

My friends.

I looked at Meredith, my voice hollow as I spoke quickly," Where are my friends?"

She could very well be lying, and I intend to prove whether or not she is. If I see my friends and teammates, that means she's not. And there is a part of me that wants to know what the heck is going on, and maybe seeing people I care about will help.

Her lips pursed, not a good sign, and gently answered," They're outside. But you shouldn't see them yet."

"But can they come in?" I sit up a littler straighter, despite the tugging in my gut and the aching everywhere else.

Again, the doctor is careful with her body language and movement, her voice almost too smooth," We don't want over exhaust you. Talking might-"

"We're talking right now and I'm okay. Apparently, I haven't seen them in months. Please." Conjuring up the realist fake tears, I try to sway her. I add in a sniffle, wiping away the stream of water like I don't want her to see it. I hear her sigh, contemplating her answer.

I let my eyes brim with tears, trying to get the smallest amount of pity out of my doctor. I force a small groan out, sagging down. I sniffle one more time, and she finally gives in," Okay, only a few minutes."

I smirk to myself as she goes to the door. The red leaves my face and I wipe my eyes quickly, erasing the charade as if it never happened. I see the door creak open, familiar faces right outside.

There are those feelings that you completely understand. Joy and sadness. Jealousy and gratitude. Grief and happiness. Those you know when you feel them, they have names that identify them. But some feelings can only be said in jumbles of words.

Seeing the people in front of me was a weird feeling. It felt like last week, I was laughing with them. At the same time it felt like it had happened years ago. The tide seemed to come in, the ocean flooding the sand and your feet. When you first wake up after a long sleep. The moment when an old song you used to love comes on.

It's indescribable, but yet you can feel it so deep inside of you that you can describe it, just not with human words.

Natasha's eyes widen, looking up from her book and through the door frame. Steve immediately stands up. Layla looks like she's about to cry. Colton is leaning on the wall, straightening himself out when he sees the doctor. They all just stare, as if I'm a ghost. Maybe I am to them.