Chapter 28: Those to Trust

"I can't believe we got away." Zerina breathed out, her suspicious eyes taking over me as I turned off the ignition, keeping the same stare. I kept pressing a cloth to the wound on my hip, the white fabric blotted with red.

A wrap covered the cut on my thigh, but that had also bled through before clotting. I glanced down at the ripped jeans, knowing we'd have to find a change of clothes before going anywhere else. Layla should have some in her car, "Yeah. Some luck."

All she did was curtly nod before sitting back in the passsenger's seat.

It was some luck that we got away. There was of course me jabbing one of my knives into his hip bone - much like an eye for an eye, just substituted. Then came Zerina finally getting a clear shot with an ICER, none of which hit him while he blocked with his metal arm, but allowed me to get a few more cuts in as we loaded back in the vehicle and sped off, leaving the assassin fighting off ICER sedatives and nursing a few words.

The last hour had been silent driving for the nearest town and searching for Layla's car on the freeway. So far, no sign of our other two companions. That left me with my sister, the suspected traitor who likely sold out our location to HYDRA.

HYDRA.

That was who took me. I remembered their symbol splayed in black paint in a white hallway; a black skull splaying out its tentacles against its enemy. I finally had a name to put to all the terrible things that had happened to my organization.

There also was the fact that HYDRA was a Nazi science division intent on conquering the world and this was a lot worse than I originally thought.

Also add in Zerina, who I was pretty sure was, in fact, a HYDRA agent. Nya must have been too.

We'd reached the town of Sodville, a sad name for a small, sad town. We'd parked behind a seedy garden store clear of obvious cameras next to one of the main roads coming in. That way when Layla and Colton came looking for us, it wouldn't take long.

"Is there a med kit beside you?" My voice was a touch raspier than usual, courtesy of the five bruised indentations decorating my neck.

Sprouse reached under her seat and with careful movements brought up a red and white decorated bag, gingerly handing it to me without so much as a word. She sat back in her seat, figure still tense as she let out a long sigh. Perhaps an attempt at fleeting relaxation.

My thoughts were still trying to sort out what to do with all the information floating in my head. As I bandaged my wounds and swallowed painkillers, I determined to do anything productive moving forward, I'd have to deal with the HYDRA agent beside me. While I was mostly confident I could do that on my own, I wasn't going to jeopardize my health anymore and try to avoid a rather incriminating conversation with Bradley and Layla.

'Why is your half-sister, which you have an obvious motive for hating, ICED and tied up in the backseat?'

'I pretty positive she's part of a Nazi organization that hasn't been active since World War II that has taken over all of SHIELD. Trust me, the amnesiac and known liar.'

No, I should probably explain to them all the evidence of this first before making a decisive move. I also needed to get in contact with Steve and Natasha. It had been over twenty-four hours since we'd parted and I heard nothing back from them. They needed to know who our enemy really was.