Entry Twenty Two

It had been a week and I had not broached the subject again with Papa. I had believed, well, hoped, it was the illness talking.

The temperatures, night sweats and regurgitation seemed to have subsided, he had been able to keep down food. I sent Henrietta into town. She was more than happy to get away. I instructed her not to tell anyone that I was there - it could disrupt the next phase of my plan.

If people began turning up, they could be in danger from Geroux. Although Geroux would be brought to justice... there's a great chance that innocent people could be hurt. I will not have that on my conscience, especially when I have a perfectly executable plan of my very own.

We had been having Queen's weather all week and I would have loved to have some time outdoors, but alas I was lacking the correct mood and even if I were eager, I did not wish to run the risk of a passerby spying me.

I had to consciously force myself from my father's bed side, as, of late, I had become accustomed to being in one and a bit rooms everyday. Unable to go outside, I decided to quietly begin the next part of my plan - packing.

Every room, every article of clothing belonging to me, Henrietta and Papa's. Chantelle, thankfully had taken quite the amount of clothing on her journey with Pierre to find me. Oh, every time I think of them out there looking for me, my heart swells with love. I will have to find a way to repay them, one day.

Some items were too cumbersome, others too heavy, some unnecessary. The pots, pans and crockery in particular would have to stay, or potentially be sold. I guessed it would depend on how much we could fit into the back of a horse and cart.

I told Henrietta to begin enquiring at stables where we were not known to the proprietors and to say we wished to rent one for a holiday. I had lied to Henrietta and told her that once Papa was well again, it would do us some good to have a small holiday.

Little did she know the horse and cart were central to my escape plan for us all.

I had managed to keep the prying mind of my sister at bay during the week. When she asked about what happened, I explained to her that I had to tell Papa first, before I told her and also that I wanted to wait until he was better. This was enough for Henrietta, I daresay helped by the fact that she was so heavy-lidded.

Finally came the day that Papa was up and about, moving all by himself. He beamed at me from across the bedroom. "Belle, you nursed me back to health. You saved me. How can I ever repay you?"

This was it, this was the time.

"You can help me pack. I have already started in the other rooms. When Henrietta comes back she can help, too. We can be out of here by tomorrow night and we'll never have to look back."

"Belle..."

"We can find Chantelle and Pierre along the way. I am certain Pierre will help out with relocating us and keeping it a secret."

"Belle..."

"We can be safe. We will be able to get away from the man that took me from my bed and we will never have another worry again."

"Belle..." said Papa for the third time, "Stop. Geroux will find you."

My blood felt as though it had frozen. Goosebumps covered my entire body.

"...How do you know his name?" I asked, timidly. A rush of shameful disappointment enveloped me. I instantly felt sick to my stomach.

"I had a problem, Belle, I couldn't help myself."

"Papa..."

"I made so many mistakes, I pay for them everyday of my life."

"Papa..."

"You have to forgive me."

"PAPA" I screeched, so loud it even startled me. My outburst had shaken Papa, he looked rather distressed at my sudden rise in volume.

"NO. You could not. You would not. I do not believe it of you." Papa looked at me with tear-filled eyes, but said nothing. "I need to hear you say it."

Henrietta walked in at that exact moment, "Belle, what are you doing? Why are you troubling Papa?"

I ignored her entirely and continued my interrogation, "Answer me!" Papa looked at the ground.

Henrietta chimed in again, "What is going on?"

I demanded an answer, "Papa, tell me its a lie. Tell me you did not let that man take me with your knowledge. Tell me its not true."

He looked off to somewhere in the distance, full of shame.

"It is true."

_________

Reminder to vote and/or comment if you enjoyed your read! Thanks for reading!