Entry Forty Two

The tea has refreshed me a little, so I shall continue.

* * *

As I walked along to the front gates, arm in arm with Geroux, it suddenly struck me how right this felt. Could all the ugliness surrounding our meeting; my father, the gambling debt, the kidnapping - was that all some hideously unconventional way for the universe to bring us together? I knew that agreeing to accompany Geroux tonight meant a lot to him. But in that moment, under the night sky, I had to wonder if tonight meant even more to me...

Or maybe I was simply hypnotised by the dress.

Just outside the gates was our horse drawn carriage. An alabaster coach, with curved sides that met in the middle at the top, was hitched to four pure white horses. Almost every inch of the carriage itself was covered in tiny lanterns, giving it the appearance of the the brightest star imaginable. It looked so inviting, so spectacular.

"Oh Geroux, it's beautiful," I said, almost at a loss for words.

He stepped over to the carriage and opened the door.

"After you," he said, offering his hand to help me into the coach.

Before Geroux got in, he took one last look around, then spoke to the driver.

"Stick to the outskirts of the forest to get there, its safer that way."

The driver answered with a simple, "Sir," and Geroux hopped inside the coach and sat opposite me, as my dress took up the length of the seat.

With a gentle flick of the reigns from the driver, the horses set off and we were on our way.

* * *

Taking the outskirts, instead of cutting through the forest, had made us somewhat tardy. Many other carriages were arriving at the same time as us.

We pulled up behind a line of carriages and decided to venture forth as some horses were playing-up further in the queue.

We were one of the last people from this wave of guests, so nobody had really seen us. But as we made our way inside the venue, they certainly noticed our arrival. I did not see anybody that I knew, but what I did see was lots of poorly masked whispers about Geroux.

"Did you see him?"

"That's the one from the place in the forest."

"Did you hear about his old wife?"

"I heard he's into the occult."

"He's more handsome than I imagined..."

When we had finally passed the rabble, I turned to Geroux.

"Do not listen to them," I said to Geroux, squeezing on his arm.

"I never do," he said. "I'm just glad you pay them no mind either."

The men at the door were making polite conversation with everyone while taking their tickets. When it was our turn we received no conversation and instead curt professionalism as we were quickly ushered through the entrance.

I had been to this palace for an event years before, but one never gets used to such grandeur. Carved timber chairs, chaise lounges and the dining tables were trimmed with gold and royal red velvet fabric. A chandelier so huge and majestic, hung from the ceiling. The ceiling itself was hand painted with meticulous detail. There were paintings of angelic creatures, in different scenes all joined together with an unrivalled artistry.

Not to mention the guests in attendance. It was a veritable rainbow of Ball gowns and hair styles. Some people even wore masks, rather odd, since this was not a masquerade Ball.