Entry Fifty Five

"Surely you cannot mean this, Geroux. Surely, something can be done about it," I protested. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"As a new wolf, you are already much stronger than me now - you will tear me to shreds as a human," he said, a hint of sadness to his voice.

"I would do no such thing - I... I love you," I said, feeling like I needed to prove it.

"That's lovely to hear, Belle, but love cannot stop the beast within," Geroux said before standing.

He unbuttoned his slightly wrinkled white shirt, revealing his perfectly sculpted muscles adorned with chest hair that would have made Pierre quite jealous. With a slight wince, he shrugged the shirt off his shoulders and turned from me, to reveal his back.

Four deep-lined scars stretched across the width of his torso. They were still pink, raw, but the wounds had closed over. I traced my fingers, gently across the scars. Geroux exhaled and goosebumps covered his body.

The chemistry between us was undeniable. There was something inside me wanting to act on that connection, but my concern outweighed any carnal urges.

"I did this?" I asked.

"Not you. Not my Belle," he said before turning his head in my direction. "The beast did."

"This will heal though, won't it?" I couldn't take my eyes off the scars. They were so deep.

"A wolf can heal from any fatal injury - except when inflicted by another wolf," he said, re-buttoning his shirt. "Soon, it will no longer hurt, but the scars shall remain."

"I'm... I'm sorry," I said, shocked.

There was silence for a moment.

"Alright... alright but I was transitioning into a beast for the first time when that happened. Surely, it's something that with time, I can get better at?" I asked.

Turning to face me properly, Geroux shook his head.

"There is a way, but it will be hard, Belle. All those chains and padlocks I have aren't for fun," Geroux said, gesturing in the direction of his "special" room. "Trust me, I've been trying to get this under control since I first turned and the only thing that ever kept me total control was that little magical drink."

"But I have you to help me and I'm a great student - I know two languages for goodness sake - I'm clever enough. I'm sure we'll be able to work this out," I said, hopeful.

Geroux sighed.

"All those scents you smell. The overwhelming feeling they give you - those are just flowers and fires and books. Wait until you smell a human - the scent could send you into a frenzy," he said.

"Geroux, what exactly are you telling me?" I asked.

"I can help you train yourself, the primal urges that bubble beneath your skin... but it will take time," he said, pensively.

"But I want you to kiss me Geroux, I don't care how forward I sound. That's what I want and I know that's what you want, too" I stated, raising my voice. To the wind with decorum, I thought - I'm a modern woman.

"Yes, of course it's what I want," Geroux said, pained. "But did you not understand what I just..."

"So what you're saying is, my kiss could essentially kill you?" I asked, pointedly.

"It isn't as simple as that," Geroux began. But I couldn't let him finish. I was suddenly, totally overcome with fury.

"Then why didn't you kiss me sooner you fool?" I screamed at him.

Without thinking I lost control, reached out and slapped him. I slapped him so hard he flew across the room and broke a chair as he landed.

___________

Thanks for reading! Please remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed it ^_^

Also follow me - it's the best way to keep up to date with all my books, present and future!