Entry Thirty Five

He offered no further explanation. I did not intend to pry. I had no idea that his wife had passed, I assumed they had separated.

By telling me about Josette, he had opened up in a way I was not expecting. He must be beginning to trust me. I had thought of this moment before and how I could use his trust to my advantage and get out of this place but, now... I no longer feel the same way.

It's so odd, though. I wonder what Josette said to Geroux that he could not understand then, but somehow, through meeting me, could understand now?

Why is everything in Geroux's life surrounded by such mystery and sadness?

* * *

I could not say that hearing about his wife was the biggest surprise from that dinner. Sometime later I remembered that I had another question.

"That man calling out all those nights ago, he called my name... do you have another person living here? Do you have our sort of arrangement with another man? Another indebted villager?"

"The voice you heard, was mine," said Geroux, looking down at his plate.

I asked him what happened, was he being tortured by someone because that is exactly what it sounded like.

"I have an illness that flairs up every now and then. Nothing contagious, so do not worry. I have medicine I can take that but its incredibly hard to come by. I had become used to going through a flair up unmedicated. That night, though, I heard how much it was distressing you, so I have been taking the medicine ever since."

"But what will you do when you run out of medicine?" I asked, concerned.

Geroux took a moment before he answered, with a wry smile.

"I imagine I'll have to purchase you some ear muffs."

______

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment if you're enjoying your read ^_^