He Saved Me Chapter Twelve

Bobby's POV

"Shit!" I whispered angrily. I had cut myself.

Isobel was still asleep and I didn't want to scare her awake, so I refrained from expelling the loud frustrated curse that would have offered me some relief. She had been sleeping for at least a half an hour when I finally took my eyes away from her defeated form. I had made my decision...

I looked around her room and cringed. She must have had some fit of rage earlier because her room was a mess. There were pictures, jewelry and cosmetic cases thrown across the floor with broken glass among it all.

Not really wanting to think about the emotional state she must have been in to cause this mess, I began to clean it all up.

I had already picked up everything not broken and placed them back on her dresser, and was in the process of picking up the broken shards of what looked like some sort of porcelain jewelry box and the glass of a picture frame when the sharp edge of a smaller piece had sank into the skin of my left palm. And now I had a long gash going across my hand. I hurriedly picked up the remaining pieces and placed them in the trashcan in her room and rushed to the bathroom to manage the cut, shutting the door behind me.

I ran cold water over the gash and watched the the blood turn pink and disappear down the drain. The sight of blood made images of Isobel, slashed and raped, pop into my head. I would never be able to escape those images. I imagined what I was going to do to the sick fuck who had caused this situation when I found him. He would be taken care of. I'd make sure of it. I squeezed my hands into fists, ignoring the stinging pain radiating from the injured palm.

Before long, I snapped myself out of my angered fantasies. I needed to get back and check on Isobel. She and I really needed to talk.

With my right hand, I fiddled with the latch of the medicine cabinet until it opened and I found gauze and tape. After cleaning the cut I wrapped it up, and was in the middle of inspecting my handy work when the door opened and Isobel let out a startled scream.

****

Isobel's POV

I didn't want to open my eyes. I didn't want to wake up. I don't know how much time had passed since Bobby had placed me in bed and told me to sleep, but it felt like I had been in this position forever. Was he still here?

As I lie there refraining from opening my eyes, I listened for any signs that I wasn't alone in my room. Nothing. Not the whisper of a breath, or the slide of a foot on the carpet. He had left me.

Tears that I didn't want to admit to burned my eyes and seeped through the shut lids. I don't know why I was so disappointed. Bobby had shown me the day before that he wasn't interested. He had shown me with Mindy Stevens. I groaned when I remembered that. With all the events of today, I had managed to overlook the fact that Bobby was apparently with Mindy now. I just thought....NO! I was not going to dwell on this. It was for the best that he was gone. He shouldn't have to deal with my problems anyway. He didn't care about me, and he shouldn't have to pretend that he did just because he felt badly about what had happened to me. This was my problem and mine alone.

I shifted my postition and slowly sat up on the side of the bed. When I opened my eyes I was looking out my window, and I realized that the sun was setting over Brooks County, Georgia. That would make it around 7pm, so I had been sleeping for two hours. I wonder how long Bobby had stayed before making his escape. Probably not long if he had stayed any time at all. I looked around my room to see that all the items I had knocked off my dresser earlier had been put back in place. Well not exactly in place, but I could tell that their positions had been carefully thought out before being left there. Bobby must have cleaned up before he left. The carpet where I had broken the picture frame and jewelry box had been picked clean as well.