He Saved Me Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

Isobel's POV

"Are you ready baby?"

I looked up and over to the doorway from my position in front of the mirror positioned on my closet door and smiled at my dad. "Yes, give me a few more minutes."

"Okay, I'll be waiting outside." He tapped his fingers on the door frame a couple times and then turned and walked back down the hall.

I stared after him for a while as I remembered what Bobby had told me the night that I got home from the hospital. I still couldn't believe that my dad had killed a man. He didn't even like to kill a fly. He would just chase it around the house until he had lured it to the front door and then he would let it fly outside. That man...that man had killed Chet Peters and got away with it. I sent a silent thank you to Detective Rodriguez for what he had ignored in order to let my father go.

I returned my attention to my reflection in the mirror and turned sideways, smoothing the black dress that Bobby had bought me down over my belly. I was four months pregnant today and the baby was beginning to show evidence of its existence. There was a slight pudge there. I frowned as I tried to sink in my belly some...no difference.

With a sigh, I pulled the ends of my graduation gown together and zipped it. Both Bobby and my dad were waiting for me outside so that we could head over to the graduation cerimony. Bobby was going to drive me in his car, and my dad had insisted on leaving at the same time as me even though I had told him several times that the graduates had to be there an hour and a half before the actual ceremony began. He had brushed my warnings off with a shrug, saying that he wanted to get the entire experience of his daughter graduating high school, so if he had to wait in the stands for a few minutes then that was what he would do.

After taking one last look at myself in the mirror, I picked up my cap off the bed and rushed outside to join Bobby.

The sunlight nearly blinded me when I stepped outside and joined Bobby at his car.

"You look so beautiful." He whispered to me as he opened the car door and waited for me to get in.

I rolled my eyes at his words and scoffed. "Whatever. I look like a fat cow!" I said once I had gotten in.

"Bullshit!" He squatted down in the doorway next to me and splayed is fingers across my belly. "This is beautiful!" He leaned over and kissed my belly and then came up to place a soft kiss on my lips. You are beautiful!"

I blinked back tears as I tried to find words to express to this boy what he did to my heart, but before I could get anything out, he had stood and closed the door.

"We'll meet you there Mr. D!" He called out to my dad who was sitting in his truck, waiting patiently for us to pull out of the drive.

And just like that, our moment was over. Bobby slid across the hood of his car and got in, not even buckling his seat belt before starting the car and pulling out onto the street.

***

"Can you believe it?!?! We are DONE with high school!!! Done! Finished! It is OVER!" Alice yammered excitedly next to me as we weaved through the crowd of graduates, trying to find Bobby and Angel. We were all supposed to be going to Bobby's house after the ceremony to celebrate with our family and close friends.

I laughed at her ablility to have so much energy when she and I had been up until four in the morning talking on the phone. I felt dead on my feet, and couldn't foresee actually being able to stay awake for the rest of the day.

"Yes, I can believe it Al. I got the proof right here." I waved my diploma in her face and resumed my search for the boys. Just then I felt two arms grab me from behind and spin me around into a hug, and I squealed in delight as I wrapped my arms around Bobby's neck, grabbing a fist full of his hair and tugging gently.