Fifteen: In Which He Follows Her On An Adventure

Remember to follow, vote and comment!

[ J A X ' S P O V ]

I catch Blaire red-handed.

"You're going out to steal, are you?" I say, lowering my hand with the keys on it. Her eyes are focused on them, eager to snatch it away from me the second I let my guard down.

"So what if I am?" She says, her gaze fixated on mine. She tilts her head upwards, her tough demeanor is up, determined as hell for me to get out of her way. "Give me the keys, Jackson."

"Tell me why you're stealing," I demand.

"No."

I emit a sigh of frustration.

She. Aggravates. Me. To. No. End.

"Look, can't you just trust me?" She asks pleadingly. "I need to do this, Jackson. You can't stop me. I won't let you."

"I am not going to let what happened last time happen again." I shake my head. "You almost got caught, for fuck's sake. You think that officer is going to be the last one? This is dangerous shit, Blaire. I can't believe you're taking it so lightly."

"I'm not taking it lightly!" She snaps. "You have no idea what I'm going through."

"Then, help me understand!" My voice echoes through the house and she winces. "Help me understand, Blaire. Why are you doing this? Why can't you just let me settle whatever shit that you have to pay off-"

"No." She holds up her hand to prevent me from speaking any further. "I can't you do this. It's not-just don't. Please. I can't... I can't do anything else. Please, Jax, just give me the keys. And don't try to stop me. Because you know that that won't end well."

"You're right. It won't." I nod in agreement.

I need to do something about this. I can't let Blaire do this. But I know that if I don't let her out, she'll just find another way to creep out of the house. A wave of protectiveness washes over me. I need to protect her. She's far from being naive but if something goes wrong, if she gets caught...

I can't imagine what would happen if she gets caught.

I shake my head. I can't afford to think like that. It will just make me even more worried for her.

What is the matter with you, Jax? You actually... care for this girl?

Yes. I think without a moment's pause. Yes. And I don't deny it.

"Here," I throw her her keys and she catches it mid-air. She stares at the keys in her palm with confusion, wondering why on earth did I give her those. "Lock up behind me."

"What?"

"I said lock up behind me," I say. "I'm coming with you."

The baffled expression on her face tells me that she didn't expect those words to come out from my mouth.

"Uh, no you're not." She says, crossing her arms, like she's making a statement.

"The hell I'm not," I tell her. "I'm coming with you whether you like it or not."

"You can't-"

"Why? Are there any rules? Have you ever specifically said that nobody could ever come along with you? Come on. I'm pretty damn sure you're not doing this alone too. You need someone to help you disable the cameras. You need a tech person. I'm guessing it's... Belle? Ben?"