Thirty Two: In Which His Home Is Where His Heart Is

Remember to follow, vote and comment!

[ J A X ' S P O V ]

To say that Mrs. Adams refused to have anything to do with Blaire's trial would be an understatement.

    "Absolutely not!" She roars. "She is not my responsibility. She may be Eden's sister, but the fact still remains that she has deliberately broke the law for her own selfish gains and jeopardize any relationship she could ever have with her brother. I will not stand by her and testify because she as hell doesn't deserve it."

    "How can you say that?" Eden's head whips around and his eyes meet his mother's cold ones. He looks utterly destroyed by the words that his adoptive mother has just uttered to me. "Blaire is not selfish! She's a good person!"

    "No, Eden, she's not," Mrs. Adams says in a less harsher tone, and shakes her head, her hands clutching his shoulders tightly. "She's inconsiderate, rude, manipulative and a rebel. She continues to think that she's above the law and who knows what other dealings she's involved that might also put your life at risk? It's not my job to protect her, Eden. It's my job to protect you from her."

    "Blaire is not like that," I hiss. "She would never deliberately put Eden's life in danger. Yes, she may have done some pretty bad things, but everything she has done within the last few months has been for Eden."

    "Please." A humorless laugh escapes from her. "You really expect me to believe that?"

    "It's true." Eden nods his head, his grip on the katana sword tightening. "Jackson can explain it to you. Please, just listen to him."

    Mrs. Adams's gaze flickers from me to Eden then back to me again. She seems hesitant. I don't blame her though. She hardly even knows me and I know the reason why she hadn't completely dismiss me in the first place is because I have ties to Eden. But I don't know if she'll even her me out. Her perspective on Blaire is so tainted that I'm not surprised that she wouldn't believe anything I have to say.

    But I'm fairly certain that beneath those cold looks, hard gazes and nasty scowls, lies a decent woman. Eden wouldn't love her like she was his own mother if she were otherwise. I have to believe that she's not the evil monster that Blaire perceived her to be and hope that she'll be willing to hear me out, even if its just for a little while.

    She stares at me again, contemplating on whether to let me in. Doubt flickers in the cold embers of her eyes and I know that Eden has got to her. She might not listen to me but he can definitely convince her to. She loves him too much to push him aside and dismiss him.

    Eden tugs on the hem of her blouse. "Please, mom. Just hear him out. It wouldn't hurt to just hear him out."

    She closes her eyes briefly and releases her clenched jaw. "Eden, I don't know-"

    "Please," he begs. "Please, for me. I promise you won't regret it."

    The last of her restraint and hesitance fall apart and a martyr sigh escapes her lips. "Fine." she snaps, then opens the door widely and gestures for me to enter. "You've got five minutes, Mr. Deneris. Make it count."

******

When I enter the house, Mrs. Adams ushers me straight to the living room. It's much cosy and warmer than any of Baxton's places; there's a family element to it, something that he will never understand. Beige vintage wallpaper are slapped over the walls, spotlights from above casting a soft glow over the furniture.