Chapter 10

"Hotch, can I talk to you?" I ask, attempting to pull him from the group. He nods and follows close behind me.

"What's up?" His stern face softens.

"I was just hoping to take a day off, with Spencer after we finish this case? It's feels like forever since I've been with my family." He smiles and nods.

"Go ahead, you two have worked hard, you deserve it."

He pats my shoulder as I walk over to Spencer who apparently had been observing the whole interaction.

"We got our days off." He shakes his head.

"I don't like when he touches you." He gently squeezes my shoulder and we leave to our next assignment.

-

I have a hard time focusing as my mind has been caught up on the kids.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Rossi walks in.

"I'm just thinking about those kids. What if we can't save them? What if it's already too late?"

Rossi slightly frowns at me. "Well first things, first don't think like that." He winks at me before leaving the room.

From Hotch:

Need you guys immediately, found a huge lead, Garcia will text you the address.

"We gotta go." I grab Spencer's hand and rush out of the building.

In the car he runs the sirens and speeds into the rode. "Here Garcia texted us the address."
-

As we arrive, we both jump out of the car and have our guns ready.

"Guns down or I'll shoot him!" I'm unpleasantly surprised at the voice of the unsub behind us. I turn around to face a man holding a gun to Caleb Draken's head.

I worriedly look at Spencer. I holster my weapon and hold my hands up.

"Listen, you don't want to do this, place your weapon on the floor and let Caleb come to me." I don't know this man, I don't have any information to get inside his head with.

"Why would I do that?" He hits Caleb in the head making him yell out in pain.

"Because I know you don't want to be in this position right now, hurting this little boy won't make your problems go away, it'll just make things worse." My heart races, this little boy's life depends on my words.

"Fuck you." Everything turns to slow motion. The man pulls the trigger and shoots Caleb in the head. The air is immediately knocked out of my lungs. As the unsub runs away I run to Caleb. I fall to the floor and wrap my arms around him, my tears don't stop flowing.

The longer I hold onto the lifeless boy the more people showed up, first the team, then the police and an ambulance. Spencer pulls me off the ground as a paramedic takes Caleb from me. I'm soaked in his blood.

"I killed him." I sob into Spencer. "It was my fault."

"No it wasn't, you tried to save him, the unsub was going to kill him no matter what."

He guides me to the back of an ambulance, I sit at the end with my legs hanging out.

"Ms. Rose?" I look up at a woman I've never seen before. She sweetly smiles.

"I'm Doctor Vogel, I'm a trauma therapist."

I really don't want to deal with her. "I understand you just watched that little boy get shot in front of you, and you blame yourself. Mind if we have a chat?"