Chapter 46

We get back to the car. I wipe the corner of my eyes with my middle fingers.

"I'm so sorry, Spencer." We pull out of the parking lot and drive back to Aaron's house.

He doesn't say anything. He hasn't said anything. My heart aches for him.

"Please." I reach for his hand, he pulls away.

"I don't have anything to say." I rest my head against the window and my hand against my mouth.

The rest of the car ride is painfully tense. I don't know what to say to do, I can't make things better.

We pull into Aaron's driveway. Spencer puts the car in park, and we continue to sit in silence.

"You can just stay in the car, I'll go get him." I flip down the visor and try my best clean myself up enough to appear as if I haven't been crying. I get out of the car and go up to the front door. I ring the doorbell and after a few seconds Aaron answers with a smile.

"Hey!" He stands to the side of the door as he opens it wider. I walk in.

"Hey." I say, suspiciously.

We walk into the living room. There are pillows and blankets scattered everywhere. Some empty or spilled candy boxes lay around, the TV displays credits of a freshly finished movie, and Marshall and Jack are running around yelling.

My eyes widen at the scene.

"How did it go?" He stands next to me, arms crossed and a wide smile on his face.

"What the hell happened in here?" Marshall sees me and stops running to wave at me, Jack takes the moment to tackle him to the ground.

"What? They're just kids, kids make messes." I smile at the boys, and try to ignore the intense burning in my throat. I'm really happy and relieved Marshall and Jack are getting along really well and Aaron seems really relaxed, and happy.

"What's bugging you?" He playfully shoves me.

"I think I'm just tired." I shrug.

"Starburst?" He moves to reach a pink Starburst on the kitchen island. He holds it out to me, waiting for me to take it. I hold out my hand and he drops it on my palm.

"Thanks. Thank you for watching him, I'm guessing it went well?" Marshall and Jack are now rolling around on the floor wrestling.

"Yeah! It was great, he's a really bright, funny kid. He's picked up a few things from you." I won't admit that warms my heart.

"Well thank you again, next time it's my turn to watch them." Aaron and I watch our boys play. It's such an entertaining thing, just watching them carelessly play with each other.

"Spencer's waiting in the car, we should get home. Marshall, you ready?" He frowns but gets up anyway and starts putting on his shoes.

"Can I take you to lunch this week?" Aaron asks me as I lead Marshall to the door. His face is back to his stern, serious look. I know he's reading me.

"Yeah just let me know when. Thanks again." He opens the door, Marshall goes out to the car with Jack following. I hug Aaron.

"Ew, are you sweaty?" He walks me to the car.

"I was running around with the boys!" I laugh at him.

He opens my car door and waves at Spencer.

"Reid." I get in the car and put on my seat belt before glancing back to make sure Marshall did the same.