Chapter 16

I bolt up in bed. The sun isn't even up, our bedroom's close to pitch black.

"Marina?" I look to my right and squint as Spencer turns on his lamp. I must've been loud enough to wake him up.

"Are you okay?" I scoot closer to him and lay my head on his chest. I hate nightmares, especially the ones dug from my actual fears.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, just a crazy dream." He adjusts himself so his arm wraps around me.

"Do you want to talk about it? I think if you talk about it, it may not bother you as much." He's right, but there isn't much to talk about, how can I explain to him I have a fear of him walking out on me.

"No... it was just a dumb dream." I smile at him hoping he won't be so worried.

"Let me know if you change your mind." I nod.

"Thanks." I lean in close enough to kiss him, making him smirk.

"Goodnight." I lay back down and wait for him to turn off his light.
-

"Robert Frederick, twenty seven, was found on Tuesday morning in Long Beach, California. A little boy was playing in the sand and uncovered Robert's face." Garcia reveals the picture of Robert's face in the sand, while the rest of his body was buried.

"About a week later another body was found buried in the sand about ten feet from Robert, twenty nine year old, Harry Shillings, who ever is doing this seems to just be getting started."

"Seems like we have a common theme, so far at least. Late 20s, male, dark hair." I speak up. Garcia points at me with her remote.

"Speaking of dark hair, the lab confirms that both victims are naturally blonde."

"Maybe the dark hair plays into some sort of fantasy." Spencer glances over at me as he talks. Hotch stands up.

"Alright, let's play with theories on the plane. Wheels up in thirty." He grabs his things and walks out. Everyone else starts gathering their things and exiting the room.

"Guess I'm going to have to buy some new shoes after this trip." Spencer looks down at me as we walk out of the room.

"Why's that?"

"Sand." He laughs, I scrunch up my face at the thought of sand filling my socks and shoes.

"People are dying and you're worried about sand in your shoes?" I shrug, guilty of just that.
-

Once we land in California Hotch immediately splits us up.

"JJ, Reid, you two head down to the beach site, see you'll be meeting with Lieutenant Picks, Rose and Morgan you'll be coming with me to the station to set up, and gather any new information. Prentiss and Rossi, I need you two to be in the general area, check with the locals, see if they know anything." Everyone nods at their jobs, Hotch motions for me to follow, then leads us over to our vehicles. I sit in the back seat as he drives, Morgan in the passenger.

"Hey Rose, didn't you grow up here?" I glance at Morgan through the review mirror.

"Yeah, I did, I used to come to this pier with my friends all the time."

Hotch's phone rings.

"Hotchner." I stare out the window and watch the all too familiar surroundings pass us.

"They found another body." He turns on the lights and siren, and speeds to the scene.
-

"Looks like our unsub is getting more confident. First he dumps a body on the beach, now in the aquarium dumpster? There have to be cameras covering every inch of this place." I look over at Morgan for his reaction.