Chapter 47

|Spencer's POV|

Marina is always tired. I'm worried about her. I know she doesn't sleep well, but now more than ever she's exhausted.

Marshall and I sit on the couch together. He plays his video games while I read. I get excited when I see Marina coming down the stairs. Although the closer she gets I realize she's been crying.

It's been two weeks, and although I still feel the pain myself, I assumed she wouldn't want Marshall to see her this way.

I toss my book onto the coffee table and rush to her side.

"Are you okay?" She smiles at me, but a tear slips from her eye.

"I'm good, considering the day." She goes into the kitchen. The day? Today in general? What's special about today? I go to the kitchen and watch her serve herself cereal.

"What's uh, what's today?" I'm hesitant to ask. I can't remember anything special about this day. It marks two weeks, but Marina isn't the kind of person to linger on things.

"I forgot who I was talking to, I don't expect you to know, I mean how could you." Her phone vibrates against the counter, she picks it up before I can see the caller ID and walks away to the office.

What do I do? I don't think I know what's throwing her off, I don't want to poke at her knowing that she hates that, but I don't know how to make things better.

I go back to my spot next to Marshall.

"Did Marina tell you anything about today?" He pauses his game.

"No, but she did say I could go over to Travis's house." Travis? I don't know a Travis.

"Who's Travis?"

"He's my friend from school. Marina said I could go to his house today." I feel bad not being as involved as I mean to be. I know Marina has a lot on her plate, per usual, but she takes care of things without letting me know, I don't get a chance to help.

Marina walks back into the kitchen. I sit on a barstool in front of her and frown at her puffy eyes.

"What's today?" She wipes under her eyes.

"Chris's birthday. I know it's stupid I'm crying, but today is just such a weird day, and I know he's going to try and call me. I just talked with Anthony, he already got his call." I watch her pretend as if she's okay, though she's very clearly not.

"Marsh, are you still going to Travis's house?" She slightly raises her voice to get his attention.

"Yeah, at noon." She checks the time on her phone.

"Okay, why don't you go get ready." She leaves the cereal on the counter untouched and goes upstairs. Marshall shuts off his game then goes to his room.

It's so weird to think she doesn't need me. She has always taken care of things without my help and now I'm just sitting in the kitchen feeling useless.

I go upstairs to our bedroom I can hear the shower running so I go into her closet and try my best to pick out an outfit for her, she lets me do that occasionally.

When she comes out of the bathroom she's already dressed.

"What's this?" She points to the clothes laid out on the bed.

"I was just trying to help you with something, I didn't realize you already had something planned out." She stands between my legs as I sit on the bed.

"You are so sweet, thank you." She kisses my cheek and tries to walk back into the bathroom, I hold her.

"Hey." She pouts.