Chapter 61

"Please!?" Marshall drags out the word.

"No, no way." We've been arguing for the past twenty minutes. Spencer comes through the garage door, his face lights up when he sees us.

"Why not?" Spencer kisses my neck before carrying the groceries to the kitchen.

"Why not what?" He comes back and messes up Marshall's hair.

"Marina says we can't get a dog." Both guys frown.

"Alright enough dog talk, get your shoes on we're already late." Marshall continues to frown as he walks over to his shoes.

"Why don't we just kidnap Arlo?" Spencer tightly hugs me.

"Because he already has a life with his dad." He pulls away.

"Can't mom borrow him?" He raises his brows.

"He's a Californian pup, that's where he belongs." My heart slightly stings after saying it. I miss him so much, but he was a gift to Adam it makes sense for him to be with his boy.

"Can I just skip today?" Marshall looks at me with his soft brown eyes that look painfully like Spencer's.

"You're already having a half day, I feel like that's a good compromise." I gently poke his cheek before gathering my things.

The three of us walk into the garage and to the car. We're dropping Marshall off at school before heading to the office.

"So when do we find out the gender of the baby?" I smile as Spencer's face lights up at our son's question.

"Not for a few weeks... It'll go by fast I'm sure."

"Are you going to want to do one of those gender reveal parties?" I smile at my goofy husband.

"No, I just thought the three of us could find out together and we'll go from there."
-

Spencer waits in the car while I walk Marshall into his school building.

"What class are you going to?" We walk to the front office to check him in.

"Lunch." I fill out the sign in sheet then hold the office door open for Marshall.

"Have a good day." I give him a tight squeeze.

"Are you picking me up after school?" He looks up hopefully.

"Jessica is, but I'll text you as soon as I know if we're leaving or not, okay?" He nods and gently waves at me before exiting the office into the school building.

I walk back to Spencer unable to stop smiling.

"What happened?" He smiles back at me.

"I'm just really happy we ended up with him, you know?" He gently rests his hand on my thigh.

"I know. I'm so excited for his baby, Mar."

"I know." I'm not completely sure what else to say.
-

"Lets start with thirty push ups, I'll be watching to make sure you do them right. Try your best guys because I will make you start over." I watch as Derek walks back and forth between the twenty people doing push ups on the field.

"After this lets cut em loose, next time I want to see who needs to work on what." He says calmly to me.

"Okay." I stand with my arms crossed watching our trainees.

"I gotta admit, I've missed having you around." He gently shoved me.

"Oh yeah?" The thought of spending any more time away from work makes my heart race.

"Yeah, I don't know why but I was kinda worried there. I mean, that you might just leave us." I face him.

"Are you kidding? They're going to have to force me into retirement, and even the thought is overwhelming." I haven't thought much about balancing work and parenthood, but I figure we can burn that bridge when we get to it.

"You and me both, Rosie." He smirks

Once we dismiss our trainees, Morgan and I walk back into our building.

"Morgan, Rose, we've been looking everywhere for you two. We need to leave immediately." Our giggles and smiles instantly fade as we're faced with Hotch's sternness.

"What's going on?" I glance over at the elevator doors after hearing the soft ding. Spencer, Rossi, JJ and Emily all walk out.

"School shooting." My heart drops, and my switch is flipped.

Spencer walks over to me, carrying my bag over his shoulder.

"Hotch already texted Jessica."

All of us head to one of the suburbans parked in the front of the building. The school must be local.

"Spencer." I look at him, the air is knocked out of my lungs the second the possibility hits me.

"He's okay, he'll be okay." He assures me.

Both of our phone go off simultaneously. I'm terrified to look, and my head feels heavy when I read that Marshall's school is on lockdown.

My hearing goes out as I climb in the back of the car, all I can hear is the sound of my own heartbeat. I text Marshall and stare at my screen desperately hoping for him to respond.

It doesn't take long to arrive at the school. When I get out of the car I feel a tight grip on my arm. I turn my head to see Hotch frowning at me. My hearing is still muffled, but I can tell he's yelling. He hands me a vest and an earpiece, I can see the anger build in him as I'm slow to take the items.

Spencer jogs over and very quickly helps puts my vest on me. I watch Hotch run towards the building, following behind the rest of the team. Spencer grabs my shoulders and frowns at me.

"I can't hear anything." I can't hear myself, the sound of my heartbeat is still overwhelming. My lungs feel pinched, forcing me to take small, and quick breaths.

I blink a few times trying to rid of the black spots beginning to obstruct my view. Spencer takes his eyes off me, and I can see him start to yell at something behind me. I close my eyes and shake my head as all of my senses seem to be failing me.

I fall back onto the hot asphalt. Why is my body shutting down? I feel too weak to attempt to stand up. The high pitch noise that was once soft and nearly unnoticeable now rises to an almost unbreakable level. I feel myself side out of consciousness with the hot asphalt under me.