He's My Dork {19}

I rang the doorbell and waited, crossing my arms. I glanced behind me nervously, afraid I would see Misha’s car rolling down the street.

                Emma opened the door and grabbed the front of my shirt, pulling me inside and shutting the door. She rolled her eyes as she dragged me to the kitchen and released my shirt.

                “This was the worst time to be fashionably late Collie!” she cried.

                “Fashionably late? What the hell is fashionable about this?” I asked, gesturing at my now wrinkled shirt.

                “Shut up and hide over here,” she said, dragging me behind a counter. There were several of Misha’s friends already sitting there, and they waved at me.

                “Is he almost here?” I asked.

                “Yes. If you had gotten here any later, you would’ve ruined everything. Darren said they’re less than two minutes away from the house,” she said.

                “Sorry! My brother has a stomach bug and I had to wait for my mom to get home before I left,” I grumbled.

                “He’s here!” Emma called, glancing down at her phone.

                Everyone fell silent. The sound of the front door opening reached our ears, and Misha’s voice drifted down to us.

                “Yea, I don’t think anyone’s home,” Misha was saying.

                “Well, we can have a beer or two and hang out by the pool,” Darren said.

                They entered the kitchen, still talking to each other. Emma nodded at everyone, and we all sprung up at the same time.

                “SURPRISE!”

                Misha jumped back in shock, his eyes going wide. After quickly scanning everyone’s face, he relaxed and smiled widely.

                “Happy birthday big brother!” Emma said, bouncing over to him and hugging him tightly.

                “Thanks Em! Thanks everyone!” he said brightly, hugging Emma back and kissing her forehead.

                “Happy birthday Misha,” his parents said, going over to him and ruffling his hair affectionately.

                He ducked away from them, laughing. He glanced over at me, his adorable smile eating up his face.

                “What? Nothing from you Collie?” he asked playfully. I had been on the phone with him until midnight, making sure I was the first person to wish him happy birthday.

                “Happy birthday you big dork,” I said, going over to him and pulling him down so that I could kiss him.

                His parents glanced at me. “Do you want to tell him, or should we?” Mr. Redner asked.

                “I will,” I said, digging in my pocket and producing a badly wrapped gift. I held it out to Misha. “Open this.”

                He took it from me, peeling the paper off. His eyes widened as he stared down at the gift in his hands.

                “Collie…is this…” He looked from me to his parents.

                “Your apartment, kid,” Mr. Redner said, slinging his arm around Misha’s shoulders. “You didn’t think we would make you pay for it on your own, did you? We already moved a bit of furniture in there.”