Are You The One For Me? (8) - Edited.

CALLISTA'S POV:

I've been doing my best to avoid everyone the next day. From my parents to my little sister, to Niya - which was harder, because we had every class together - to both Dylan - which was easy, because other than in the halls and lunch, we hardly ever saw each other - and Eric - which was the hardest to do, because I missed him so badly.

I haven't had a proper conversation or even a greeting with him since the day of the fight. I had no idea how he felt about this sudden distance, but he didn't look too happy. There was nothing I could do about it though; this needed to be done and it was better to be over sooner than later.

I knew now that the feelings I had for Eric were more than just friendship. I knew that little by little, if I spent too much time around him, the same the thing that happened with Dylan would happen with him. It would start with a little crush but by the end of the week I'd be a diehard fan for him.

Whenever I saw Dylan or even thought of him, my heart hurt but as soon as Eric suddenly popped into my mind, all that pain would vanish and I'd get this airy, clear feeling inside of me. That definitely meant something, but I couldn't let those feelings go on like that. I couldn't risk myself getting hurt again.

But, little did I know that the farther I stayed away from Eric, the more he wanted to be closer. I thought I was doing us both a favor, but really I was only making him tick. He was getting restless and it wasn't long before he came bursting back into my life.

►♥◄

Two days later, while I was coming out of my last class and headed towards the cafeteria, I felt someone grab me from behind and push me up against the wall. I gasped and flinched back from the touch. I wasn't too used to anyone's hands on me and this was all so sudden, I had no idea what to think.

I figured it was Niya wanting me to forgive her already and was about kill her for thinking that jumping me was going to make me like her again, when I opened my eyes and found a different pair of eyes staring back at me. Those weren't Niya's darkly eye-lined hazel eyes but instead light forest green and thick eye-lashed ones.

"E-Eric?" I stuttered. "Wha-what are you doing?"

"Why the hell don't you talk to me anymore?" he demanded. "What'd I do wrong?"

"Eric, please, let me go. I-I don't want to talk to you."

Eric tightened his grip on my wrists and leaned in closer to me. I willed myself not to start blushing and sweating and focused on a spot over his head, so I wouldn't have to look him in the eyes.

"Is it because I know your secret? Are you afraid I'm going to use it against you?" Eric went on. My eyes widened. 'No, no it couldn't be,' I gulped. 'He can't possibly know that I.... I didn't leave enough hints for him to have figured it out. Did I?' "Is it because I stood up for you when no one else did?"

Oh. My heart beat slowed down, but I was still nervous as hell.

I looked around over Eric's shoulder, the halls were empty, there wasn't a person left in sight.

"I-I, it," I had to think of a good excuse and fast. It wouldn't help to lie, Eric would probably see right through me, but if I could make it convincing enough, maybe he'd leave me alone then. "Yes." I finally decided to go with what he had assumed. "I don't think it's a good idea. I don't need a prince in shining armor or any of that," I couldn't help thinking back to what Grant had said and how Eric had defended me so easily as if he actually cared about me. "You'll only be creating more trouble for me by doing that. You'll attract more attention towards me and-and then I'll get bullied even more. Is that what you want?!" I looked directly in Eric's eyes then and willed myself not to look away until he did.

Eric shifted his eyes downwards. "No," he whispered. "But, I don't want to be away from you either!"

I shook my head. "We can't be friends, Eric. I'm sorry." I shrugged him away and tugged at my wrists. Eric loosened his grip on me and I slipped out of his hold. "You're too bad of an influence on me." I turned and hurried down the hall, but instead of heading into the cafeteria, I slipped inside the girl's bathroom again and made my way over to my stall.

I felt bad for blaming Eric for the whole thing, but it was better him than me. Besides, he'd get over it, but I didn't know if I could.

A/N: Yeah, don't hate me for this; but it just HAD to be done. It'll all be good later on, I promise you that!! =D