Chapter one: "The Break-up"

• Dedicated to John C.

"Hey, Scott!" Courtney yelled as she bolted across the hall to kiss her boyfriend. "Hey, Courtney..." Scott seemed surprised. She leaned in to kiss him and he resisted. "What's wrong, Scott?" Courtney asked.

"Courtney, we need to talk."

"Oh, no. I never like to hear that sentence."

"I think we need to take a break..."

"Take a break? Why? Scott, it's almost Summer Vacation! We were going to go on vacation together."

"That's just it. You see, we can't do that."

"Ok, fine then we won't go. Problem fixed."

"No, Courtney. Do you remember Spring Break?"

"What about it?"

"When we went on that trip to the beach, we only spent 2 hours together and the rest of the trip we were alone. Without each other, I mean."

"Yes. I'm sorry about that, I told you."

"I Know, but then I didn't understand."

"Where are you goin with this, Scott?"

"I fell in love with Charity, Courtney. I can't be with you."

"Charity!? You have been cheating on me for this long?"

" Well, not exactly. I've just wanted to. I'm trying to do the honorable thing here, and break up with you."

"Scott. You are not making any sense."

"We... me and Charity... are going on vacation together this year, without you. Just us. We are in love. You and I are over."

"Fine. Take care, Scott." Courtney said as she jerked her back pack over her shoulder and began to walk home.

  As she walked, her memory began to kick in. How she would text Scott and he would take his time texting her back, not like he used to. He never answered her calls. They hadn't gone on a date alone...without Charity and Jacob, her now ex-boyfriend...since Spring Break. For the past month and a half he has tensed up even when she kissed him only on the cheek. How could she not see this coming?