Step Two

• Dedicated to Matthew S. and Emily E.

"Oh, Courtney. That's terrible! He just laid it out like that." Emily said.

  Emily was Courtney's best friend. She had stuck with her through thick and thin. Even in middle school when they would crush on the same guy, they were still the best of friends. Neither one of them ever got the guy. In fact, the one guy they were both crazy about was Ryan, and he was their best guy friend. He was like one of them. Could either one of them date him? Of course they would both willingly date him, without question.

"Courtney. He was a jerk. Take it from a guy, there are many guys out there way better than he is." Ryan said putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Like you, don't take this the wrong way. You're  a great guy, Ryan. Without you and Emily, I don't know what I would do. Not just about the break up, but my entire life." Courtney said smiling at both of her best friends.

"And, Charity is a loose girl. Scott may think that he is in love with her, but she will soon prove him wrong." Emily said.

"You got that right!" Ryan said giving Emily a fist bump.

"You know, Courtney, Now that you've got step one over with, it's time for you to pursue step two." Emily said.

"Step two?" Courtney asked.

"Yeah, what's step two, Emily?" Ryan asked.

"Step one is the break up, step two is getting a plan to make him want you back!" Emily said enthusiastically.

"But, I don't want him back, Emily. After what he is planning on doing with Charity, no one will." Courtney said.

"I understand that. But, you need to let him know that he had a good thing, he just let it go." Emily said.

"Well, I'm Going to leave that one up to the girls." Ryan said.

"OH NO YOU DON'T" Emily and Courtney said simultaneously as they grabbed his arms.

"You need help. Help Emily do her dirty work, and help me get away when things go south."  Courtney said.

"I'd be more willing to do choice B!" Ryan said as they all laughed.