The Confession

• Dedicated to Matthew S. and Emily E. Y'all are the best friends a girl could have! I love you

 "...Ryan! Ryan, please don't go." Courtney pleaded as Ryan stormed out of the house onto the lawn. Courtney had invited her pregnant best friend, Emily over to her house without telling Ryan. Ryan was still pretty angry at Emily for making such a dumb mistake. Courtney understood that, but Ran needed to let it go. Yes, Emily made a huge mistake, and yes, he had the right to be angry for a little while, but not for days! It was time she put an end to the fight between Ryan and Emily.

   Courtney didn't understand how a fight could be stirred up when neither of them had spoken to each other. So Courtney came up with a plan to make them talk. Even if it was harsh words, it was better to speak to each other about your feelings than to keep them balled up inside of themselves until they exploded into little pieces, then hurting someone.

"Ryan, talk to me!" Courtney said standing in front of the door to Ryan's truck.

"Why should I, Courtney? You didn't talk to me about this!" Ryan said pointing to the house behind him.

   " He called me Courtney. He's really angry with me, He only calls me by my name when I'm acting stupid and he's trying to talk some sense into me, or he's angry with me." Courtney thought with tears in her eyes. Ryan noticed she was on the verge of crying. He took a deep breath.

"Look, Red, I'm sorry I yelled, okay." Ryan said.

"Ryan, why won't you speak to Emily?" Courtney said blinking back her tears.

"Because, you don't understand..."

"What are you hiding from me, Ryan?"

"Look, Emily is like a little sister to me. You know that."

"Yeah, and?"

"I don't want my sister, messing around with Jase! Well she did and now look what happened." Ryan rolled his hand over his stomach as a gesture.

"So you admit it was a mistake?" Courtney asked.

"Well, Yeah!"

"A dumb mistake."

"Yes, a dumb mistake."

"That's just it, Ryan. It was a dumb mistake. People make those. You do, I do, even smart Emily does. That is part of growing up. That is part of life."

"You're making it sound like it's ok that she messed up with Jase!"

"No, It's not ok. It was wrong, we all know it. But there is nothing you or me or anyone can do about it. It is in the past, what's done is done."

"I know and I'll get over it. But not now."

"You keep saying that! When is now, Ryan? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? When Emily has her baby? When Emily Graduates High School? That is what I'm saying. The longer you put it off, the less time you'll have to make memories with her. And yeah, I don't like Jase or the fact that he is Emily's baby daddy, But I can't fix it. Neither Can You!" Courtney put her hand on Ryan's cheek.

"I hate it when I'm wrong.." Ryan said looking away.

"You're not wrong in feeling the way you feel, Ryan. That is normal. You just have to let it go."

"What would I do without you, Red?" Ryan said wrapping his arms around Courtney.

"I don't know, but without you, I wouldn't make it." Courtney said. 

    Ryan kissed Courtney softly on her lips and they went inside her house to talk to Emily. When they went into Courtney's room Emily was sitting on the bed with tear stains on her face. "Tell her how you feel." Courtney said pushing Ryan toward Emily.

"Emily, I'm very angry. I don't understand how you could do this, with Jase, of all people! I don't understand why you couldn't be open with me about you and Jase dating. Yeah, I don't like the guy, I think he's a scum bag...but that's not my point. I... I feel for you like you are my little sister. And, I would never want this to happen to my little sister. I would never want my little sister to be messing around with a guy like Jase, I love you, Em." Ryan confessed.

"Ryan, I love you too. You are like my big brother in many, many ways. But the fact is, you're not. I had to make my own decisions. By myself. And I made the wrong one. But I can't fix it. And, Ryan, Jase is not that bad of a guy. I don't know what went on between you two, but I do know his past. He's changed. I know you're thinking, 'Typical girl answer..' But I'm serious. He's nothing like he used to be, if he was... do you think I would be here like this? Wait.. don't answer that. I meant, I wouldn't fall for him. I couldn't be open with you about me and Jase, because it would freak you out, like you are now. simple as that. Ryan, you aren't wrong for feeling the way you feel about this." Emily pointed to her stomach."Any normal person would. But, I did it. I can't fix it. No one can. You just have to live with it."

  Courtney and Emily and Ryan, joined in a group hug and promised never to fight like this again. They were all true friends to one another and cared for eachother deeply. Emily had set up a date for Courtney and Ryan and herself and Jase. She wanted them to know him like she did, as a great guy and good friend. The Confession actually worked...