My Hero

• Dedicated to Matthew S. Do you remember when we went on our first double date? Ha! How could

    "...I think you will like Jase, He's really sweet." Emily said as she slipped her dress over her head. She had finally moved in with Courtney. It was an exciting and new learning experience for both of the girls. The girls' rooms were joined together by a joining bathroom.

"I hope so." Courtney said as she brushed her teeth.

"You will, I promise." Emily said peeking around the corner and giving Courtney a wink.

"Don't make promises you can't keep." Courtney said waving her toothbrush at Emily.

"Hey, I don't dis your man, don't dis mine." Emily joked.

"That's because you can't dis my man. For one: He's perfect. For two: You live in my house." Courtney teased.

"Oh, he's perfect?"

"He's perfect for me...Now, shut up I'm putting on my mascara!" Courtney said laughing.

"No, no, no you got it all wrong, we talk while we put on our mascara!" Emily yelled.

"Oh my goodness! We have five minutes to finish getting ready!"

"It's okay, I'm ready, and we're girls, its okay to be late."

"No, it's fine. I'm ready." Courtney said walking into her black platform heels.

"Oh, you look gorgeous in that color!" Emily said enthusiastically.

  Courtney had her red hair curled and she had on a silver sequined dress on with her black platform heels. Emily was wearing a white dress that came just to the top of her knees and tan bohemian sandals. Her gold jewelry made the outfit complete.

"You look gorgeous as well!" Courtney complimented

"Shall we go, strut our stuff?" Emily said in a phony French accent.

"Yes, we shall." Courtney said looping her arm around Emily's and walking down the stairs to meet the guys.

   "I wonder how this is going to end... Will I like Jase after all these years? Has he really changed? Or is he still a scumbag? Courtney! Try harder to be nice, this is Emily's boyfriend and baby daddy. She really likes him, don't ruin it for her." Courtney thought as she and Emily walked down the stairs.

  Courtney greeted Ryan with a "Hey, Cutie." and  kiss on the lips.

"Hey, Red. You look gorgeous." Ryan said.

"You do too!" Courtney said pecking his cheek. Ryan laughed.

  Jase greeted Emily with a kiss and a hug. He put his hand on her stomach and said "Hey kiddo'. How ya doin'?" then he looked at Emily and said "Hey beautiful! You feeling all right?"

"Yes, handsome." Emily replied. "Let's get going."

  The couples went in separate cars. Emily and Jase in one car, and Courtney and Ryan in the other.  The couples agreed to meet at a fancy restaurant called 'The Purple Chandelier" known of course, for it's huge purple chandeliers.

"Ryan?" Courtney asked.

"Yes, Red?" Ryan answered with a grin on his face.

"How are you affording taking me to places like this?"

"I've got a job, Red. Duh!"

"Are you okay with this?"

"Okay with it? You are my girl! I would spend all the money in the world on you."

"You don't have to do that."

"I know, I do it because I love you." Ryan said.

"You love me?" Courtney asked in shock.

"The correct response is I love you too..."

"You really love me?"

"Yes, Red, I really love you. We've been dating for almost 4 months now."

"I love you too. I can't wait to start my senior year being 'Ryan's Girl' "

"Well it's only a few days."

"Yeah, I know." Courtney said as she got out of the car and began to walk to the door.

"Hey, gorgeous?" Ryan yelled. Courtney turned around to see him waving her over to him.

"Hmm?" she asked as she approached him.

   Ryan kissed her deeply. Courtney loved it when he did that. She loved that he didn't care that they were in public. He was romantic, no matter who was watching them. Courtney wasn't half as bold, but she wasn't shy with Ryan.

  As they walked into the restaurant with Emily and Jase, Scott was cleaning off tables. Courtney couldn't believe that Scott was working! At a restaurant of all places! She snuggled up to Ryan, hoping that Scott hadn''t seen him kiss her. Scott loved rubbing his relationships in her face, but Courtney wouldn't do that to him.

   They managed to pass Scott without him seeing Courtney. Ryan let her sit on the inside of the booth. She loved being with Ryan. He felt protective over her, she knew it. She was so happy that Ryan had finally told her that he loved her.

   Obviously, Jase was pretty crazy about Emily too. He had stuck with her, even now that she is six months pregnant. She was well rounded over now, and Jase still took her on dates. He wasn't ashamed of her. Why should he be? It was his child. Rather, She was his child. Courtney was surprised when she found out that Jase was paying for all the baby's expenses.

"So, Courtney, Emily's says you play volleyball." Jase said trying to stir up conversation.

"I do. I'm not good, or a starter or anything, but I love the sport. Emily played too, when we went to private school. She is the perfect example o.." Courtney answered, Jase interrupted.

"Yeah, I know. That's cool. So Ryan, I don't know much about you. Tell me something." Jase said

"Um," Jase glanced at Courtney, "I used to play football, but now I renew old cars." Ryan answered in a tone that indicated he didn't want to talk to Jase. Courtney softly flicked his leg under the table.

"That's cool, are you working on anything right now?" Jase asked sounding interested.

"Yeah, a 67 Ford  Mustang.  This is the only car that I have actually worked on. The rest were just old trucks ranging from 80's to late 90's. I get them from junk yards and..." Ryan started.

"The 'Stang, What has to be done to it?" Jase interrupted.

"Um, I am almost finished rebuilding the motor, The AC is wacked up, and it needs a paint job." Ryan said quickly, trying to finish his answer before being interrupted.

"That's cool, real nice." Jase said glancing at Courtney.

    Jase's glance made her feel very uncomfortable. The rest of the evening was consisted of annoying questions being asked by Jase, and being annoyingly interrupted every time someone would answer. Scott of course watched them closely the whole time. It was too awkward to stay there and enjoy it. So, after desert Courtney sent Ryan a text under the table that read, "Play along, ur mom called and said 2 cum home." Ryan smiled at Courtney to indicate that he got it. Courtney called Ryan's cell phone, keeping her phone hidden. As soon as Ryan answered the phone she hung up, so that Emily and Jase couldn't hear his voice from her phone.

"Hello...why?...I understand...Love you too....Okay.... Bye." Ryan said in the phone.

"What's going on?" Emily asked.

"I gotta' go, my mom needs me. Courtney and I have to go." Ryan said standing up and helping Courtney out of the booth.

"Oh, well Courtney can ride with us, we were gonna' hit the mall after dinner." Jase offered.

"No!...I mean, I would rather stay with Ryan. I don't have any money to spend anyway. Thanks though." Courtney said as Ryan put a tip on the table. He and Courtney thanked Jase for the dinner and rushed out the door as fast as they could.

"You are my hero!" Courtney said kissing Ryan's cheek as he got into the car. They laughed at their bad luck all the way home.