Chapter Two (set after 'The Name Of The Doctor')

***A/N Everything will be set after 'The Name Of The Doctor' from now on*** 

“Doctor?” I say. We’re in the Tardis. The Doctor is sitting in a chair across the console room, looking more worried than I have ever seen him.

“Clara,” he replies, like he’s tasting my name on his tongue.

“What’s wrong, chinboy?” That manages to illicit a small, weak smile from him.

“Things,” he replies.

“Want to elaborate?” I ask, going over to sit next to him on his seat. He rubs his forehead with his hand.

“Well, for one thing, I can never let you out of my sight again,” he grins.

“Why not?” I frown. “I’m perfectly capable of looking after myself.”

“Clara,” he says. “You don’t understand. It’s not that I don’t think you can look after yourself- it’s that I don’t want to lose you. After everything we’ve been through, it would break my heart to lose you again. You’ve given your life for mine hundreds of times and I’ve never even thanked you, so will you let me do so by looking after you?”

I nod silently and give him a long hug, holding him until he pulls away to look at me, his face only inches from mine. My heartbeat quickens.

“What was it like?” he asks. “Travelling through time and space like that, never dying. How did you feel?”

I think about it, how my only purpose had been to save to Doctor and when he had left with one or other of his companions I was on my own.

“Lonely,” I reply, my arms still around him, and then think about what I just said. Travelling through time and space, never dying? That’s his life, something he can’t get away from. “I’m so sorry,” I start to say, “I didn’t  think about…”

He lays a finger on my lips.

“It’s okay,” he tells me. “Now you know how I feel, all the time. You understand me.”

I think about everything that happened today- meeting the Doctor’s wife, finding out the Doctor's name, visiting the Doctor’s tomb, stepping inside the Doctor’s past.

At  the beginning of today I had no idea who I was or what my purpose was, and I had no idea why the Doctor thought of me as the Impossible Girl.

I understand now, and I hold the memories of centuries. It feels good, to know as much as the Doctor. We’re equals now.

There’s just one problem...