Chapter Twelve

I wake up in a damp, dark cellar, propped up against a wall. There are sticky cobwebs in my hair and even as I sit there a spider runs over my hand.

I shake it off and shudder, looking around. My eyes are barely adjusted to the gloom, but I can make out a small barred window and a closed door at the top of a staircase. There's nothing else in the cellar but barrels and empty shelves.

I suddenly hear a noise behind me and turn around swiftly, hoping to see the Doctor standing there, sonic screwdriver in hand. Then I nearly scream.

A man, in a bright white empty-faced mask, is standing behind me. He silently reaches for my throat.

My legs have no feeling in them because they're so cold, but I stagger to my feet and run, banging on the door at the top of the cellar. It opens, but my joy quickly turns to terror when another masked man blocks my way.

"What do you want from me?" I scream at them.

"We want information about the Doctor," says one of the men in a gravelly voice. "And if you don't tell us..." he reaches into his cloak and grasps a dagger in his right hand.

I think about standing firm, but all I know is that I'm terrified, lost, and for all I know the Doctor doesn't care about me anymore.

"What do you want to know?" I ask.