Chapter Five

"I think we should get a room for the night," the Doctor says slowly, "and wait. If we interfere with what's going on we could change the whole future of... us. It's better that we keep out of the way."

"I thought you wanted to find out about this?" I ask. "About what would happen?"

"I don't want to create a paradox or do anything that I'll regret," he tells me. "So, for now, we're going to get a room and wait."

********

"The inn's full," the man says gruffly. "There's another one just down there, though. Doubles as a pub. It's called The Lonely Traveller. You can't miss it."

At first I don't quite register what he's saying, but then I catch on. He's saying that we need to go to the pub- the pub where the echo of me lives and works. And we can't do that because meeting with other versions of us would create a paradox, and that would be too easy to do in a small building.

I look at the Doctor.

"What should we do?" I say.

"We're going to have to go," he says. I raise my eyebrows. I wasn't expecting that.

"Come on!" he says. "We're never going to know how this works if we don't try it."

"Okay..." I say. "But we're going have to be a little bit careful!"

********

The room's freezing. There's a grate, but no fire or firewood. The Doctor sonics it, and announces that the chimney's blocked up. I groan.

We got the last room (the attic), which I'm pleased about because the echo me lives down in the basement. We're as far away from trouble as possible.

The attic is tiny, dusty and infested with cobwebs. There are two narrow single beds on opposite sides. One has a broken matress- I see the Doctor notice this and watch him claim it straight away.

A tiny skylight window in the roof is completely covered in a thick white blanket of snow, meaning that the room is very dark.

"This looks comfortable," I joke.

"Sorry," he says. He actually seems guilty.

"Doctor. I don't care," I tell him. He grins. "Can I have a hug?" I ask him.

He wraps his arms around me and gives me a big warm hug before tucking me up in bed like I'm six years old. I grin at him over the top of the duvet, and he plants a quick kiss on my forehead, then dives over to the other side of the room to his bed.