Best Behavior

READERS POV
   Your name is (f/n l/n) and you have just woken up in a strange place. The first thing you notice is the eager troll staring at you, the second thing is the throbbing pain in your head.  
   "Karkat?" You manage weakly. How long have you been out? How did you end up here?
   "Obviously. How's your head?" He's not yelling. Why isn't he yelling? He's asking how you are, and all you are concerned about is why your eardrums haven't burst.
   "It hurts, but I think it will be fine. Where am I?" He looks a little dumbfounded. It must be obvious.
   "You are at my hive. I found you outside about 40 minutes ago. I would have called your lusus, but your stupid phone is dead. Why the fuck don't you carry a charger?" Not yelling, but cursing, that's a start.
   "Sorry about this, I was at a friends and I got lost-"
   "You wound up in a troll neighborhood and were beat up or something? I can assure you we aren't all like that. Hell, I brought you in here to make sure nothing worse happened!" He looks flustered. He's probably afraid you will blame him for your injuries.
  "No, no I wasn't beat up. I was running and I tripped. Thank you for helping me, Karkat. If you have a phone, I can call my mom to get me." A rush of relief washes over him. Then a look of confusion.
   "What the fuck is a mom?" What kind of question is that? How long has he lived on earth, and not known what a mom was? "Wait, it's like the human equivalent of a Lusus, right?"
   "Umm, I guess?" You have heard the term, but you thought they were just made up. Who would let a monster raise a child?
   "Right. So I've got a phone in the other room. I'll get it for you. Do you need more ice?"
  "Thank you, but no." He leaves to get the phone, you can't help but think something terribly strange is happening.

KARKAT's POV

  "Does she even FUCKING notice how GODDAMN cordial and kind I am being." You think to yourself. "I am working my ASS off to make sure she knows I'm not just a seething ball of rage and hate." You aren't sure why you have this need to be liked by her, it's probably just because you've never had a human friend. All of your friends are trolls. But now after seeing her sketch of you, you have something to prove. You can be likable and a fucking ray of sunshine to be around. "I won't go as far as smiling; that would probably make her run for the hills," you think, your fangs are quite fearsome. You find your phone on your computer desk. Your pesterchum on the desktop lights up
adiosToreador is trying to troll you. You'll get back to him later, you really ought to get back to (f/n). You walk back into the room to find her on the floor.
  "(F/n)! Fuck, (F/n), are you okay? What the actual hell happened?" You help her to her feet and lift her back onto the couch. Her skin has gotten paler and she's cold to the touch.
  "I stood up, but I got dizzy, and my head hurt worse. I don't know what's wrong."
  "All this from tripping? I can't believe how hard you hit that thick skull of yours against the pavement." She frowns a little, "Sorry, just, I didn't know humans were so fragile."
  "I didn't either. Um I better call my mom now, it's getting late and I bet she's worried sick." You hand her the phone but her hands are shaking. 
  "Goddamnit. How about I call, so you can get more rest, besides I can give directions, your 'mom' better not be as fucking hopeless with finding her fucking way as you are." She tells you the number, as you type it in.
  "Wait, Karkat. I don't want to sound rude but she actually... She has a thing about..."
  "She doesn't like Trolls?" She shakes her head. You sit next to her on the couch; while the phone rings in your hand. You hand it back to (f/n). "Tell her to get you at the corner of 4th and Francis." You'll get her there and go, it's just outside of the trollian neighborhood, she'd be safe there. She explains that she got hurt and a nice couple let her borrow their phone, she wraps her call up, and hands you the phone back.
  "She said she is an hour out. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. I can head over there now..."
  "FUCK NO. YOU CAN BARELY STAND YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING IMBECILE. DO YOU WANT TO GET HURT AGAIN?" Shit you yelled. She's staring at you now. "Sorry, no, we can stay here for another 40 minutes,  then I will take you to 4th and Francis, then go. She'll never have to know about me." You sigh the last part a little. No matter where in the universe you go, you will always be a lower class citizen.
  "Thank you, Karkat. This all really means a lot." You blush a little at this.
  "Don't fucking mention it nookstain. Just rest for a while, I'll wake you up if you doze off."
   "Thank you." She says again. You are about to get up when you feel a head rest on your shoulder.
  Normally you would scream and throw a fit over how this nook sniffing sack of shit has no right to do that, but right now she's not doing well, and you kind of like her there. You aren't flushed for her or anything. But it's nice that she isn't terrified of you, that it doesn't matter that you are a troll and she's a human. It's comforting to know that some people are accepting. You look over to her, the bruise looks like it won't get much bigger. You still haven't asked what color her blood is, or how the human caste system works, but maybe that's a good question for another day. But what if there isn't one. Her mom hates trolls, she would never let her daughter be friends with one. This could be the last time we talk. You needed to do something, but what? You suddenly have an idea, a genius idea. You just hope it's obvious enough that she sees it, but not her mom.

--------------------------------------------A/N: if you like where I'm going with this story please let me know. I also would love feedback, or requests for short stories if you have them. Thanks for reading!