Man behind the Mask

A/N I decided to continue this story, nicetomeetyoubuddy had some encouraging words for me and I decided to pick it up and run with it. I plan to have a romantic chapter coming up soon. Just need to amp the stakes up even higher.

Karkat's POV

A splitting pain in the side of your head finally stirred you from your slumber. Or should you call it that? What happened to you. You blink a few times and the room comes into view. A floral wallpaper, and the quilt on the bed seem to date the room, most everything is mismatched. Quickly trying to stand you find you are handcuffed to someone. You look to your right and your heart nearly stops.

  "Sollux? Sol fuck are you okay?" He scrunched his nose but nods before opening his bright eyes.

   "KK? What the fuck are you doing here? Where are we?"

  "I don't know, I just followed a map and-"

  "I followed one two! Then a girl in a mask knocked me out, now I'm here." Sollux spilled his story, his lisp only mildly interrupting him. The nature of all this is starting to sink in.

  "Sollux, do you think they are going to kill us?" The look on his face shows that this hadn't crossed his mind yet. He looks to you, eyes pleading behind his glasses.

   "What are we going to do?" How the hell should you know? Sollux isn't good with things like this, he isn't one to act, you are his only life line. His only hope.

  "Fuck. Well we are attached only to each other right? And only by the arms? We can run Sollux." Scanning the room there is a window to the left, you stand and yank on the chain to get Sollux to stand. He's shaking a little. You start to boost him up, then the door opens.

  "Can I at least explain before you attempt to escape?" The mask man says. The one that knocked you out. "We have snacks if you are hungry... And I have the handcuff keys..." The man is seeming more like a boy. He kicks the ground a little. You and Sollux remain frozen. The boy reaches up and clumsily removes the mask, then pushes the hood onto his shoulders.

  "John? John FUCKING Egbert? Are you fucking kidding me?"

  "We were captured by John Egbert? Fuck KK we have lost any shred of dignity we ever had. This kid is the most harmless human I've ever met and he was going to slaughter us. What has the world come to!" Sollux is attempting to hide his fear behind sarcasm and doing surprisingly well, aside from the fact that he is clutching your hand hard enough to cut off all circulation.

  "Me? Kill you? God no! Kidnapping, kind of. You came here mostly on free will. You wanted to go where the maps took you right? You don't hate me? I'll explain it all in the living room if you'll join us." John's voice quivers only slightly. He's more afraid of your reactions than of us, but likely because you and Sollux showed you are more apt to run than to fight.

  "Well I mean as long as you aren't going to fucking murder us... We'll go, right Sollux?" Sollux smiles bashfully, you go to walk but the chain yanks you back. Sollux hasn't moved a step. "Alright you bulgelicker. You've got 3 seconds before I knock you unconscious again and drag your sorry, pathetic fucking ass out to the living room. There I will take well organized notes of all the bullfuckery you are about to miss by being a pretentious asshole." A loud sigh escapes his lips, then then moves to lead you out the door following John. A short walk through a dusty hallway leads you to the living room. You are greeted by an incredibly strange group.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?" You are almost positive that wasn't supposed to come out as shouting. In the room you find Kanaya Maryam, holding hands with ROSE LALONDE. A FUCKING HUMAN! Not only that but several other trolls and humans MINGLING. Like this is an average, everyday sort of thing. But all at once all eyes rest on you. A throat clears, the heads face who you can only assume is the leader of this foolishness, on the far side of the room. The 'leader' steps through the crowd, your eyes widen more than they had before. "KANKRI?" Sollux squeezes your hand, maybe attempting to reassure you, or maybe to remind you that you've been holding hands and it's going to get awkward the longer it proceeds. You release, and Kankri approaches you.
   "Karkat? Was the outburst really necessary? If trolls and humans forming friendships is triggering to you I apologize deeply. However I am aware of your friendship with miss (l/n) so I would find this trigger to be at the very least mildly hypocritical."

  "KK? You're friends with a human two?" Turning back towards Sollux you seem a little perplexed. Then you notice who you seem to recognize as Roxy Lalonde waving at him. Your jaw slacks, could that be the mystery flush crush your friend has vaguely described to you? The one into magic, and war history. God you hope not, you'd have to be delirious to fall in love with a Human. But somehow, she doesn't strike you as the type.

  "I feel that I need to reiterate my statement as it has been ignored. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE? And if I get a back handed remark or some other sort of bull fuckery I will not hesitate to do some sort of acrobatic pirouette off the fucking handle." Again you've stunned the room to silence. You tend to have this affect. Your 'brother' as the humans have titled him seems to be tasked with explaining.

  "Simple Karkat, we are a small group of  humans and trolls who want equality. We've formed friendships and alliances and don't want to hide them in the shadows. #violation of privacy. I did notice that you'd left your pesterchum open and were meeting with someone in a human neighborhood. I asked others in the group and it led us to (F/N), making the both of you prime for induction." You are whole heartedly surprised that didn't take longer.
    "So Karkat, Sollux, what do you say? Would you like to join our group?" John seems cautious still, but of course you attempted to escape not 5 minutes ago, they certainly don't want to give away their location. Sollux's head snaps toward Roxy, looking for reassurance. She smiles warmly and nods. Your eyes scan the room, but (F/N) is no where in sight.

  "I'll join." Sollux is firm in this answer. But you don't have someone to reassure you like him. Sure Kankri is here, you trust him, but if this ends up being another place you have to sit through hour long lectures you rather pass.

Your POV

You are SO late to meet up with John. Roxy kept you distracted long enough, but then you ended up having to go back to your locker, which was jammed. 30 minutes gone, but it's not like you could leave without your phone. You call and leave John a message. Not revealing too much, as to keep with his covert theme today. Just that you were running behind. On your way out the door however you were stopped by your Math teacher, who apparently wanted to ask about that presentation on sin graphs. You informed him that it was just hip enough to keep the kids entertained, this was a blatant lie. Any video about Math is bad enough without it using "yo" and "dawg" as though people still use those non-ironically.
   It took an hour just to leave the school. You sent John a text this time, telling him that it is in fact not hip to be square and that your math teacher has foiled your plot to leave quickly. Hopefully your bit of humor will help make it so he isn't upset that it's taken so long. But either way you choose to jog most of the way there. The path you usually take to get there is overgrown due to lack of treading recently.
   Trees seem to roll by with the landscape as you pace quickly toward where you hope to still find John. The generator is on and the house is lit. About 100 yards away you see the curtains drawn and smoke rising through the chimney. You know how passionate John is about fire places containing fires, so even in the heat of the day the small house is kept hot by John's well maintained fire.
  Finally stopping to catch your breath on the front door, you hear a murmur from within. You open the door cautiously, ready to strife.
  "John?" John isn't the first thing you see when you open the doors. Your eyes meet Karkat's. He's chained to another troll, what the hell is happening here?
  "I'll join too. Equality and all that bullshit." What did Karkat join? A cult? Did you just walk into a cult?
  "HELLO?" The room stills and all eyes turn to you.
   "Hey (F/N), I hope you don't mind I invited a few other friends over." You smile half heartedly. John has a hell of a lot of explaining to do.

A/N I hope you enjoy this, PLEASE let me know what you think in the comments! Thanks for reading!