Pretty Sure It's Mark Twain

Readers POV

After a whole 3 days of missed classes, and a whole 3 nights of hanging out with Karkat, you were finally able to go back to school. As you approached the narrow hallway, which houses your locker, you begin to realize just how much you *almost* missed it. however, you actually missed the social aspect more. You really adored Karkat, but you couldn't really hang out with him here. But you have many human friends. Like... John! Who is running to greet you right now.
"(F/N)! youre back!" He exclaims as he sweeps you into a hug, leaving you an inch or so off the ground. He realizes quickly that he is squeezing the life out of you, so he slowly puts you back on the ground. "how are you feeling?"
"I'm doing much better, thank you. How are you, John?"
"I'm doing AMAZING, how did you enjoy your break from school?"
  "It was nice, but it felt long, the nights were longer than the days. It felt that way anyway." While you know he won't get it, you still find your small confession relieving.
  "Ah the nights usually feel the longest 'The moon's an arrant thief, And her pale fire she snatches from the sun.'" It's not like John to quote things like that. He doesn't sound right coming out of his mouth, but maybe it's just another layer to him you haven't uncovered.
  "What is that from?"
  "i dont think it matters all that much, probably Mark Twain. um, we are good friends right?"
"Of course! I've known you for ages, and we've been best friends for who knows how long. Why?"
"so if I had a different view than you on something really serious, would you still be my friend?" You are beginning to become concerned. But John is a very nice boy, you doubt it could be that bad.
"John, you could tell me anything and I will still care about you, and we would still be BEST friends. What is it?" He smiles, but then shifts a little uncomfortably.
"ok, so I can't tell you at this very second, but..." He glances around, then reaches into his pocket, and pulls out a yellow sticky note, folded in half. Before you can open up the small yellow note, John grabs your wrist to stop you. "this is kind of a big deal, okay? before you can open it you need to know 6 things. 1: no one can know who gave it to you. 2: open it in private. 3: it is coded. 4: you have only until the end of the day to figure it out. 5: if not it will self-destruct. 6: number 5 is a joke, to lighten it up a bit. sorry this is all weird but this is important to me, and I don't want anyone to get in trouble." Wow you are mildly terrified. You've been back maybe 10 minutes and you are already given an urgent task. John gives you one more smile before speeding off down the hall. You look around and hurry off to the bathroom to open the message. It's longer than you expected. What is it?  It reads as follows:

I: 3-2-14-10
I: 1-2-22-5
I: 1-1-12-9
I: 2-1-31-9
I: 2-1-11-10
I: 1-1-12-9
I: 2-1-30-1

It's not a letters code, because all of then all of the words would consist of 5 letters, plus they all start with a letter. So this is likely a book code. Come to think of it, they all start with I. Is it an I or the Roman Numeral for 1? Does that mean chapter one? Or... Act one? Acts in plays use Roman numerals! So the next thing must be page number, line number and then word number... But there is an extra number... Shoot. What is it then? You think back to what John said, and you remember part of that quote. "The moon's an arrant thief" you don't remember the rest, but maybe it's just enough to... AHA. Your Google search worked! Now you just need to crack the books code... You have about 15 minutes still before class starts, so you quickly and quietly grab your things and make your way to the library. On the way, you make sure to avoid conversations so you have as much time as possible to get the play and get out. Who knows if it is the right book or not. But you are sure as hell about to find out.
  When you approach the counter to speak with the librarian, you find its none other than Miss Betty. While beautiful on the outside, she is viciously cruel. You timidly ask for the book you need, and she begrudgingly shows it to you, but compliments your taste in literature. As soon as you check out the book you abscond.
  You reach a place where you feel you may be safe from Miss Betty and let out a huff of relief. You see Jake heading to a class of his, he sees the book in your hand, smiles and flashes you a knowing look before entering his class. You are now much more confident that this is what you needed. You shove it in your knapsack and head to class. The excitement is building but you must wait. No decoding in class.

A/N This is a short update because the next will be a little more adventurous. Also the quote John used, is a quote he uses in Act 1, and he is "pretty sure Mark Twain said that" and I have a pretty neat headcannon to accompany that quote, but anyhow I hope you enjoy this I am hoping to make the next update quickly. Thank you for reading. I bet you all can get the message quickly as long as you know the format in this particular piece of literature is different than the average ;)