Together at Last

Reader POV
"I know for our newcomers that the sight of a troll and human together is outlandish at best. But I promise you that one day that will change." The troll you now know as Kankri, has a determined look washing over him.

You've heard him speak before but more often than not he goes on ignored by his peers. But today the topic is far more moving. He speaks with a passion that you cannot replicate. He talks about the separate locker rooms, and troll assigned spaces in the lunch room. The jeering looks that we see from the outside. Everyone looks on him with thoughtful concern. Sooner than you would have expected he stops, and looks to John.

"I know many of you just know me as a jokester. But this is something that I am incredibly passionate about. I had a group of friends who really hated trolls, and at the time I was indifferent to them, so I played along in their mean games." John's face twists as though recalling a disgusting memory. His head snaps, bringing him back to the present.

"Until one day I saw this young troll looking for his 'Lusus'. He was lost and scared, and my so called friends called him stupid, rainbow-blooded and a freak as he just stood there and cried. He was just a little kid. I pretended to take a call, and told them I had to go. They left, and I found the troll. His name was Aexeon, was 2 sweeps old and just needed to get home." The crowd stirred a little. Maybe knowing the child, or moved by the story so far. John took a moment to collect himself before continuing.

"He was small enough to fit in my backpack so that's where I put him. I couldn't be seen with a baby troll, and I feel awful about it to this day... He told me his Street name and that his hive was yellow and purple. I was terrified to walk through a troll neighborhood, but for this little guy, I knew that walking to the end of the earth wouldn't be enough to ease my guilty conscious." John shudders out another breath as he recalls the memory of it. You yourself had also just been lost in a troll neighborhood, so you could relate to the unease he must have felt.

"When I approached the house, I got Aexeon out of my backpack and held him in my arms as I knocked on the door. I wanted to scream when a centaur like creature emerged, but I held my ground and handed Aexeon over to the monster. He was so happy to see his monster-dad. And the monster-dad was even happier to see him. It was just a parent and child in the end. The whole experience made me realize that we aren't all that different. Trolls are not lower class they are equal. We are too afraid of change. Trolls are here to stay and we need to welcome them with open arms. We're amassing a group of students to protest the unequal treatment of trolls, and to push the barriers down between the races. If you don't want to be a part of our movement any longer you can leave now, we will understand. As for the rest of you, who is with us?"

There is a stillness in the air as he finishes. You feel breathless. John is arranging this? Little dorky John who likes to play pranks and tell terrible jokes? You feel... impressed? A slow clapping emerges from behind you, you turn to look and now it's multiple people. You find yourself clapping too for John's little speech. Beside you, you feel Karkat beginning to clap too, and something else too. A quiet sniffling, like a desperate attempt to hold in tears. You can't help but smile. You're definitely sticking around for this. If John's speech had done nothing to convince you, the troll beside you had.

Kankri begins motioning for the crowd to quiet back down, and John seems to be taking a head count, or possibly writing names down. You give John a little wave, and he smiles at you. Small conversations have started amongst the gathered crowd. Gossip, how people joined the group, and even things as mundane as classroom assignments. It feels surreal to see these kinds of casual interactions.

You chance a glance at Karkat, his eyes seem fixed to the floor. You find your hand reaching for his as though on instinct. You catch yourself and turn away, your face hot from embarrassment. He's such a private person, he'd probably hate you if you tried something like that now. But would be hate it if you were alone? Your mind is suddenly consumed with the thought, and it races through the scenarios. And before you know it, your hand has reached for his again, but you didn't catch yourself in time.

Your fingers delicately brush his knuckles, and he opens his hand to receive yours. You can't bring yourself to look at him. Your blush is creeping down your neck. Karkat has remained silent as well, and you don't feel his eyes on you. He gives your hand a gentle squeeze, maybe of reassurance that this is okay. Your hands seem to fit together perfectly. His palm has a bit of roughness to it, yet rests so lightly in yours.

"(F/N)? Are you... okay?" His voice is timid, and very un-Karkat like. It's quiet, like he's trying to not make a scene.
"Y-yes. I'm fine. Just... nervous I think. But a good nervous, you know?" You turn to look at him, hands still locked together with his. "And you?"

"The same I think. Good nervous." He squeezes your hand again. "It was kind of a mess getting here, and John really needs to work on his recruitment strategy, but I think this is exactly what I needed in my life right now."

"I feel the same. I'm really glad you're here, Karkat." He smiles slightly.

"I'm really glad you're here too, (F/N)."