Chapter 9

The next morning wasn't much better.
Phil woke up tired, like he had run a marathon in his sleep. He had crust in his eyes and his throat was dry and sore.

Sadness filled his gut, like sand, as he remembered what had happened the night before.

Why would Dan just leave like that? Did Phil's apology bore him? Did he think Phil wasn't being sincere? Or did he simply just not want to be there anymore? What had happened?

Phil knew he had done a lot of things to complicate, even potentially ruin, Dan and his relationship, but he hoped that there was still a chance to mend it. He wasn't going to avoid Dan anymore, because obviously that just made things much much worse, he needed to talk to him. He needed to explain things with his eyes open and make sure Dan stayed to hear the whole story.

He looked outside and saw that the sun had yet to rise. Checking the clock on the wall, he noticed that it was still only 7:10am. About two hours before the rest of camp would wake up.
He decided to try and get a bit more sleep and curled back up into his bed, pulling the sheets over his head and engulfing himself in their warmth. He closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around himself, hugging his own body (which was simultaneously quite awkward and comforting). He spent a few minutes there like that, feeling his consciousness float farther and farther away, and he might have even been able to fall right back asleep if it hadn't been for this:

"CHRIS STOP MASTERBATING!"

Suddenly, Phil was wide awake.
"Who's doing what?!" He half shouted, half gasped.

"CHRIS WONT STOP TOUCHING HIMSELF AND MAKING WEIRD MOANING NOISES!!!" Oil shrieked.

"IM NOT TOUCHING MYSELF!" Chris defended, "AND THAT MOANING WAS JUST ME TALKING IN MY SLEEP!"

"OH SUUURE! IF "TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP" SOUNDS LIKE "oh oh oh oh ah ah ah ah yes yes yah oh yah please" THATS JUST GROSS, CHRIS!"

"I WASNT--"

"AND I KNOW FOR A FACT YOU WERE TOUCHING YOURSELF. ITS SIMPLE PHYSICS DUDE. IF THE BOTTOM BUNK MOVES, THE TOP BUNK MOVES WITH IT!"

"OLI I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU THINK YOU HEARD BUT I DID NOT MASTERBATE! I WOULDN'T DO THAT WITH OTHER PEOPLE IN THE ROOM!"

"AND YOU SHOULDN'T! KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS YOU LITTLE--"

"OKAY! OKAY! EVERYONE NEEDS TO JUST SHUT. THE. FLUFF. UP." Howie cut in. "If someone did happen to be doing... that then they deserve to have the cone of shame strapped onto their willy, but since we can not prove that Chris was actually... you know we will not be punishing anyone today. Like Oli said, keep it in your pants, kids, and let's get off to breakfast. I'm sure you've already woken half the camp with all of your screaming."

The boys all got up ("Be careful getting out of bed, Chris. If you pull the blankets back too far we'll all see how wet your sheets are and then we'll know that you--" "SHUT UP!") and quickly dressed themselves and then headed off to the mess hall.

*•*•*•*•*

"Milk in your cereal today?" Charlie asked Phil when he set his tray down on the table.

"Oh. Yeah. I guess I wasn't really thinking about it much. The lady just poured it in and I didn't stop her."

Charlie nodded. "So, if you don't mind me asking, what's got you so side-tracked? You definitely have that "far away" look in your eye a lot lately. Do you...? Do you have a crush on someone... or something?"