Chapter 14

Phil's eyes fluttered open to see a room he did not recognize.
He was tucked into an unfamiliar bed and couldn't remember how in the world he got there.

His head throbbed painfully. He didn't have the energy to sit upright, or maybe that was just due to how tightly the sheets were tucked.

His feet and legs itched and stung.

His stomach was extremely sore and hurt like hell, almost to the point of numbness.

He let his hands wander around on his face, feeling out for any injuries.

Split lip, bruised chin, bruised cheekbone, a cut on his nose, and lots of bandages wrapped around his forehead.

"What happened to me?" He asked, thinking aloud.

It was only when an unexpected voice spoke up that Phil noticed he was not alone in the room.
"You're awake!" It exclaimed. "Charlie! Charlie, wake up!"

Charlie. Phil thought. Charlie was there when this happened. When... whatever happened happened....

Phil carefully twisted his neck around to see the boy sleeping in a cheap fold-out chair next to his bed.
He looked very uncomfortable and sad. Phil took pity on him.

He saw Charlie raise his eyelids just a bit, as if wanting to catch a sneak peak of what was going on to see if it was worth waking up for. Apparently it was because his eyes flew open and grew to the size of saucers when he saw Phil looking back at him.

"YOU'RE AWAKE!" He exclaimed, just like the first person except with about five thousand times more relief and excitement.

"I- I am awake," Phil confirmed. He tried to smile, but it hurt the cut in his lip too much so he stopped.

"Can I hug him?" Charlie asked the first person, who Phil could now see was his counselor, Howie.

"You better not," Howie said sternly. "Getting hugged by you is like being attacked by an overly-friendly bear, you'd probably just hurt him more."

Charlie, while looking slightly disappointed, respected this and took a small step back.

Seeing his opportunity to speak up, Phil asked them all the questions on his mind, sending them out into the air like rapid fire.
"Where am I exactly? What happened? What day is it? Where's Dan? And why does my everything hurt?"

"Oh no!" Charlie gasped, looking worried. "He's got amnesia!"

"He hasn't got amnesia!" Howie scowled, slapping Charlie upside the head. "Calm down, boy. He's just been asleep for almost two days straight. He's ought to be confused."

Charlie looked embarrassed and let his gaze drop to the floor.

"Why don't you stay here and answer his questions while I take the others to the mess hall for lunch, okay? We'll bring you to back something."

Howie left once he saw both Charlie and Phil nodding their heads in agreement.

"So...." Phil said, after a long moment of awkward silence. "Are you going to give me some answers or are you just going to keep standing there staring at me like I'm a ghost?" He didn't mean to sound rude, but he kind of couldn't help it.

Charlie snapped out of his daze and apologized. "Well... er... What exactly did you want to know, again?"

"Where am I?" Phil repeated, slowly. "What happened? What day is it? Where's Dan? And why does my everything hurt?"

"Oh... Okay.... Well, you're in the camp infirmary because you... well, do you remember the rope swing?"

Phil nodded carefully, a lead weigh landing in his stomach as he began to understand.