Chapter 18

(A/n) I hate this story so much ihateitihateitihateitihateit it's so bad oh my god I'm so sorry

"What's with the busted blinker?" Dan's counselor, Randy, asked him later that day, during one of their free periods. "You walk into a door or something?"

Dan forced himself to laugh, but it was dry and it hurt. He adjusted his fringe so that it covered more of his black eye. "I... uh... Yeah, something like that,"

His entire face was bruised and covered in cuts from his little "chat" with Charlie earlier. He'd borrowed some makeup from some nice girl in another cabin to cover it up, and, surprisingly, managed to do a pretty decent job, but some of the red and purple blotches were still visible.

"You'll still be able to go hiking with the rest of us later, right?" Randy asked, smiling, "We won't be going to the lake though because, well, you know.... We don't want any more incidents like Phil's...." He paused uncomfortably, and Dan knew he was probably still feeling guilty for letting a camper get hurt under his watch, even if it wasn't his fault.

"Of course," Dan tried his best to smile convincingly. He'd go on the hike even if all he really wanted to do was hide under his duvet and avoid all human contact.

Getting knocked out by his ex boyfriend's new boyfriend wasn't exactly a great self esteem booster and hadn't really put him in the mood to be around any people at the moment.

"Great!" Randy beamed, looking slightly relieved. "We'll be going soon so get ready and meet us in the cabin," he instructed before walking off.

Dan sighed, pushing a hand through his hair tiredly. Maybe he'd get lucky and get attacked and carried away by a giant eagle. Here's hoping.

*•*•*•*•*

They'd been walking for a while now, mostly all quiet except for the occasional outburst from Chris and Peej, who had their hands laced together tightly and were snuggling up to each other.

Despite how happy he wanted to be for his friends being in love and all that shit, Dan kind of wanted to throw stones at them and tell them to get a room. He was not in the mood to witness any cute couple-y stuff.

But, on the bright side, he couldn't help notice that Phil and Charlie didn't seem nearly as cozy today.

Their hands weren't connected, like Chris and PJ's were, no, on the contrary, actually. They were walking separately, quiet a bit of space in between them, and awkwardly dead silent.

Every once in a while Dan would catch Charlie sending Phil a pained, almost longing, kind of look that Phil never reciprocated.

He seemed to be icing him out (and doing a damn good job of it.) He seemed determined to walk straight forward and had a strange sort of zoned-out look in his empty eyes. His expression was unreadable, completely blank, as if he was unable to see or hear anything around him.

And things stayed like that for a long while, that is, until Charlie got brave and decided to speak up.

"Goddammit, Phil, what did I do?!"

Phil didn't look up, but he stopped walking and his eyes seemed to widen significantly. Dan couldn't decide whether he thought he looked more scared or angry.

"What did I do?!" Charlie repeated, louder, more aggressive this time, grabbing the attention of the rest of the group, who had been walking a ways in front of them, but were now doubling back to see what was going on. "Why haven't you been avoiding me?! What the fuck did I do?!"