Chapter Nine

Arthur's POV

I lean against the free covered head to toe with rain. I breathe in deeply and exhale slowly. Maybe Gaius had been right. Maybe this had been a bad idea but yet I am still glad Merlin is with us. Evil or not. I want to keep an eye on him. What other choice is there right now?

"You can't hide behind the trees forever brother. Come out and face me or I will find you and strike you down once and for good!" shouts Morgana.

"You are going to do that anyway!" I shout right back at her struggling to my feet. Vern appears next to me out of breathe and soaked all the way through just like me.

"Sire, we have to flee. I think we won't make this out alive otherwise," he pants.

"I agree Vern but Merlin..." I whisper.

"I stopped him before he said something that the real Merlin would of regretted and hated himself for the rest of his life. I know what he had entailed to say and I certain you will glad that part of Merlin had not come out, not right in that moment," he whispers to me.

"What is going on Vern? What is this part of Merlin? What are you hiding from me?" I ask confused.

"I can not say sire. That is Merlin's secret and I promised to keep it. All I must say though sire is if you knew you may not be fond of him or me so much," he tells me.

I shake my head. Whatever it is. It will have to wait. This is the wrong time for it, Vern is right about that if nothing else.

"Where are my knights?"

"I do not know and Rickrack...he got hit," Vern tells me.

"Just great, in the long way that guy had been no hope at all. Damn this. Nothing is going our way," I grit my teeth.

"Have hope sire. That we will at least get away."

"And look like a coward but have no choice. We find the knights get Merlin and get back to Camelot before sunrise," I tell him before I run out from the tree and sprint towards Merlin's lifeless body but we all know he is just sleeping because Vern had knocked him out.

I make it to him and try lift him up into my arms but a arrow shoots past my head hitting the tree. I gasp at how close it had been.

"Sire let me," says Percival who had just arrived in front of me. I step back and let Percival pick him up.

"Where are the rest of the knights?" I ask.

"Just ahead sire. We must get out of here. Morgana will do all she can to kill you," says Percival.

"I know that."

We sprint through the trees. We see the rest of the knights up ahead. Percival suddenly yells and I watch in horror as he flies back Merlin falling off to the left while Percival the right.

"Come now dear brother going so soon? You let your useless servant mouth of to me and then flee. You will make a cowardly king. You have always been that brother. A coward."

"You never use to think that Morgana. Magic has corrupted you," I snap.

"Uther is to blame for this!" she shouts right at me.

"All you know is betrayal and suffering and nothing else anymore Morgana. I once cared for you deeply but you have changed and turned into this," I say.

Morgana goes to shout a spell but stops as Merlin struggles up next to me raising his hand out in front of him, "Leave him alone," he whispers slowly.