9

We arrive at Hogwarts. The muggle looks dizzy. I don't say a word, I just appirate back to the scene of the fight. Back in the streets of London, I glance round. Ron is defending a small family of muggles. "Sectumsempra!" One of the death eaters cries. "Protago!" Ron yells back, but the shielding charm fails. The bright sparks leap from the death eaters' wand and hit Ron in the chest. "No!" I scream, and I hear Hermione screaming too.

Me and Hermione push through the crowds. Bellatrix laughs. How could she? How could she take Ron from us? "You monster!" I shout. She cackles and soars away, leaving us. Me and Hermione run up to Ron. He gasps and splutters, but there's nothing we can do. Hermione starts crying tears dropping from her cheeks. "L-listen, h-h-Hermione listen to me." Ron splutters, "Y-y-you have to d-d-d-defend the m-muggles. I-I-if  Harry were here h-he'd be crying too, b-but h-h-he wouldn't let the muggles die. P-promise me that you'll defend them. Promise t-t-that y-y-y-you will d-do e-e-e-everything y-y-you can t-t-to p-p-protect t-t-them." He's gasping so much and struggling to say anything but the first letters of words, that I know that he's close to death. It looks like he's struggling to keep his eyes open. Hermione and I each take one of his hands, and he gives us his last smile and says his last four words very clearly. "Hermione, I love you."

Then he's gone. His eyes close. His bleeding chest heaves a huge final breath. Hermione whispers his name, but he does not respond. She kisses him on the cheek, crying and crying. My own tears blur my vision as I hear her whisper her five words. "Ron I love you too." I watch his body, hoping that he will reply. But he doesn't. I hold his hand tightly, but the usual warmth in his hand isn't there. His hands are so cold instead. Colder than the most bitter breeze. Colder than ice. Colder than the black lake at Hogwarts. Ron's hands are as cold as a dead man's fingers, as cold as Harry's fingers. His hands are cold because Ronald Weasly has joined my father. Ron is dead.