California (Part 1)

Christina's POV

I sighed, sitting next to Bobby on the couch in his living room. I didn't want to drop this bomb on him, but I knew it'd be best to get it done sooner rather than later.

His family would be home in about twenty minutes, and I just hoped he didn't overreact and make a scene as they came home.

"Bobby," I said softly, "we need to talk."

"About what?" He asked, noticing how serious I was.

"My career is really starting to take off," I explained. "And I don't think staying in New Jersey will help me get a record deal."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"My mom and I are moving to California sometime soon," I explained. "Like, in a matter of a month or two."

He looked at the ground, taking in what I just said.

"I love you, Bobby, and I know we have a great relationship, but I need to do this. And we can make long distance work," I said.

"It's across the country, Christina."

"I know," I said, my throat starting to close up. I knew this would be hard to do.

"I don't think I can handle being that far from you for a long time," he said.

"That's what I was afraid of," I said softly, looking at the floor. "But I don't want to break up with you."

"I don't want to either," he said. "But I don't want to be the one holding you back from achieving your dreams. I know you can make it in the music industry, and you've gotta go try for it. Even if I'm not with you when you are."

One tear slid down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away.

"I don't think I'm ready for us to end again," I said.

"We have a month, right?"

I nodded.

"Then we don't have to," he said.

"I don't want to break up. Period," I replied.

"Long distance isn't gonna work, Christina. It won't be the same."

"I know," I said, allowing the warm tears to spill out of my eyes and roll down my face with every passing minute.

Then his face lit up. He had an idea.

"I could move out there with you," he said.

I smiled at the floor, shaking my head. "I appreciate it, Bobby, but it wouldn't be fair for me to make you leave your family and your job and basically everything in your life."

"I want to," he said. "It's fine."

I shook my head. "It's not fine. I'd feel bad. It's not right for me to take you from everything you care about."

"You leaving would be taking me from everything I care about," he said.

It was a cheesy line, but it was cute.

"I have to go," I said, knowing his family would be home any minute now. "We have a month. We'll finish this later."

"You don't have to go," he said, getting up with me.

"I really do," I said, wiping my face.

"No," he said, "you don't."

"But I'm going to."

I walked to the door, Bobby trailing close behind me.

"I love you," I said, turning toward him.

"You don't have to leave," he said. "We can figure this out."

"Later," I said.

"Christina," he said as I turned away.

"What?" I asked, holding back any other tears.

"Can you at least kiss me goodbye?"

I turned to him for a moment.

He pushed closer to me and placed his lips on mine, and I was sure he could taste the saltiness of my tears.

I pulled away after a moment. Then I turned toward the door.

"I love you. I'll call you," he said as I walked out.

Once I got to the car, I wiped all my tears away, knowing it was dangerous to drive while crying. I glanced at the window, seeing Bobby looking at me.

I took a deep breath just as his mom and dad pulled in. I started the engine and drove away, turning the radio up so loud I couldn't hear anything else. Not even my thoughts. I knew they'd be too full of him.

•••

Author's Note:
I'm SO SORRY it's been like ten years since my last update on this! I just want to make it known that this book will have slow updates, ok?

Hopefully I can get part two of this up within a week though, or else you guys'll probably forgot what the heck is going on.

Alright, well, I love you guys. Thanks for hanging in there!

- thatsmyswift xx

P.S. This chapter was completed on October 16, 2015 and it's taken me this long to get to it. I'm not proud of myself for that one :/ *SIGH*