Break Up in a Small Town

•• hello my loves! this was written in February 2016, so before Christina died. you don't need to know that, but I felt like I should include it because I feel like I was a completely different person when I wrote this. I don't think my writing shows it, but I feel it, so I thought I'd add that fact in. hope you enjoy! - thatsmyswift xx ••

inspiration: Break Up in a Small Town - Sam Hunt, video added

Bobby's Point of View

I sighed as I saw Christina's car next to mine at the stop light. I acted like I couldn't see her, and continued on my way, ignoring everything running through my mind.

I wondered if she was going to meet Dylan.

As much as people tried to hide it from me, I knew they were becoming a thing. I wondered how she could've fallen for him. He wasn't even very nice, I couldn't imagine his personality being great. And I didn't think she'd fall completely for looks, but I didn't really think he had those either.

My friends had been trying to hide the fact that she was moving on from me for weeks now. But there weren't many ways to hide it. Everyone in our town knew, and I wasn't stupid.

She had a right. We broke up months ago. Why wouldn't she be over me by now? Why wasn't I over her?

I figured I'd see her around when we first broke up. I mean, there were only so many places we could go that wouldn't be near each other. I mean, it was inevitable that we'd show up at the same party or I'd see her in the parking lot. It was only a matter of time before I'd see her in public with him.

I just wished it was different.

I wished that no one had to try to keep me out of certain places because they knew she'd be there and they didn't want me to be upset. I wished that I knew all along that I had to move away or move on if we were going to break up in such a small town.

I knew I'd see her around. I knew that the moment we broke up. I mean, there were only so many streets. But now it felt like I couldn't even leave my house.

She had moved on, but she'd gone so much faster than I had. I mean, the patch of dirt was still in my yard from where she used to park, and she was already with someone else. She was already leaving an entirely new patch of dirt on someone else's lawn, and I was left here alone.

I was tired of my friends acting weird around me, trying to hide stuff from me that had to do with Christina, putting on a show because they don't want me to know about her and someone else.

There were only so many streets, though. And so many places to go, things to do.

Maybe I had to move.

Well, the choice was clear: move or move on.

That was until my phone rang on a random Wednesday night.

"Christina?" I answered, not even hiding the surprise in my voice.

"Can I come over?" She asked. I could hear she was crying.

"Uh, yeah," I said, clearing my throat and looking around, seeing how much tidying up I'd have to do before she came. "What's up?"

"Dylan's a dick," she said simply, and I would've fallen down if I heard her say that while I was standing.

"What'd he do, honey?"

"I'll talk to you when I get there," she answered, sniffling. "I'm sorry, Bobby. I shouldn't have left you. I shouldn't have even been with him."

"It's OK," I said, wondering why it was so easy for me to forgive her. "Just come over. And be careful on your way, it's not safe to cry and drive."

"OK. See you soon."

"Bye," I said. I went to end the call, but she said something, so I brought the phone back by my ear.

"What?"

"Just... thank you," she said.

Maybe I wouldn't have to move or move on after all.