Chapter 9

I trudged down the street in silence, my eyes fixed on Ollie's back. I had let him get far enough ahead of George and I that he was completely out of earshot, but I wanted him out of sight too.

I dragged my feet for a little longer, and by the time we had passed the last neat, little brick house and turned onto a row of old, grimy ones, Ollie was far ahead enough that I couldn't even see him anymore.

I sighed heavily.

"Shit," I muttered.

"You alright?" George asked, his voice surprisingly gentle.

"You're you. Of course I'd moped to my sister about it, but she went and told everyone because apparently my whole family need to know everyone I like and dislike at school. Ugh."

George didn't say anything.

"I hung out with you today. My brother found out. My family know I don't like you, and they know we're supposed to be soulmates and you don't see anything, so, I dunno, they don't really like you. I'm completely screwed."

"Should I be offended, or-" he chuckled.

I just sighed.

We lapsed into silence, the only sound coming from my feet as my shoes scraped the pavement with every step.

"What're you gonna tell 'em?" He asked after a while.

"Pfft. Not a damn clue. Like I said, I'm. Screwed."

"I could come with you, if you'd like," he said quietly.

Silence.

"I dunno," I said finally. "It might help, or it might make it much, much worse."

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess."

"Look, I'll go by myself, then after I've had a conversation with them, I'll see how it goes, and I'll call you if you want. Mmkay?"

"Good that."

We turned onto my street, and I could make out the blob that was Ollie walking down the pavement.

"I gotta be there to see what he says," I told George, and quickened my pace, about to break into a sprint to catch my brother.

"Okay. Call me, alright? And Amber-" he grabbed my arm, so I stopped to face him.

"Yeah?"

"I-I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. For getting you into this situation with your family, for being horrible to you before, for being horrible to Riley, for being horrible to everyone. I'm so sorry."

I looked him in the eyes.

"You don't need to apologise anymore, okay? You think I'd hang around you if I didn't forgive you?"

He dropped his gaze. "I guess."

"Right, I really gotta go, but I'll call you in a bit, 'kay?"

I rose to my tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek, before turning and sprinting down the road. I took a hasty glance back, and I saw him stood there, his eyes wide. Why did I do that? What's wrong with me? I meant it as a thank you, but I probably freaked him out. I'm so stupid, ugh.

I finally reached the door and somehow managed to catch up with Ollie who was just taking his keys out. Of course, I had to tackle him, and we both went sprawling on the doormat.

"'Sup?" I said, smirking.

He pushed me to one side and heaved himself up.

"Gee, thanks for that," he said sarcastically.