Chapter 12

George's POV

I knocked lightly on the door with the back of my hand. At first there was no reply, and I hoped someone was home because my parents' car had already gone.

I knocked again, and thankfully I heard footsteps.

Luckily it was Amber who opened the door. Unluckily she looked a bit miffed, to say the least. She threw the door open, her face almost as red as her hair, and walked right up to me and slapped me across the cheek. It didn't hurt. I knew she didn't mean it to hurt. It just made me laugh.

Then she threw her arms around me, and her lips crashed against mine.

I laughed again when we broke apart, and she was laughing too.

I didn't see the colour when I was with Amber. Because I couldn't see colour. Not because I didn't like Amber. I definitely liked Amber. God, I think I almost I loved her.

"Come in," she said, turning around to walk into her house. I stopped in my tracks. She turned, and frowned.

"What's wrong?"

"Your parents don't like me," I remembered her telling me. I would not want to go into their house, and they would equally not want me in there.

"Nonsense," Amber waved it off. "Anyway, who cares? It's alright."

It was then that Amber's mum came out of the living room, and saw her front door open with me standing at it.

"Uh, bye Amber," I said quickly.

"Oh, are you going so soon? Please, you're welcome in if you want," Amber's mum told me. I was confused, shocked even by this response.

Obviously Amber was too.
"Mum?" she questioned. Amber and her mother shared a short silent conversation, before Amber turned to me and asked me to come in.

"Uh, okay."

Amber started up the stairs and I went to follow her.

"Oh, aren't you going to introduce us, Amber?" Her mum said with a small smile.

"Uh, in a minute or so, mum?"

Her mum nodded. "Ah, of course." She smiled at me, and turned back into the living room.

"Uh, what?" I asked incredulously, when we stepped into Amber's bedroom.

"I was surprised too at first, believe me."

"Why the sudden change of mind?"

"I knew she meant she wanted me to be happy. I suppose after I shouted at them both a little when telling them what you told me."

"Wait, what?" I chuckled.

"I may have started ranting about how they needed to accept the fact that you and me were soulmates like they did for my siblings when they found theirs, and I completely went off on one until I realised they were trying to tell me that they agreed with me the whole time."

"Wow. Nice one there, Amber," I laughed.

She chuckled back, before proposing that we head back downstairs.

I felt incredibly awkward seated at the table with Amber's family. Her older brother, Ollie, kept giving me sidelong grins like we were mates, which I guess actually helped a bit.

Her father's glances over at me, his eyes full of curiosity, did not help as much.

Even when Amber's mum started talking to me, it didn't feel any less awkward. She asked me about myself, and my family. Amber's father didn't speak for a long time, which was okay because her mum was being very polite.

"So, uh, George, who are you friendly with at school?" He finally piped up. I understood the curiosity and possible irritation behind the stiff politeness of his words, and I understood the meaning of the seemingly harmless question.

"Uh, Amber," I said, because it was true.

"No one else?"

"Not really, sir. I used to hang out with other people, but friends change."

"I see." Amber's dad seemed to look a little less mad, or suspicious, or whatever the reason for the odd looks. They went. I took it as a good sign.

After the agonisingly long time spent at the dinner table, my mum called and asked for me home. I excused myself and left hurriedly.

"Wait up," Amber said expectantly. "Where you off to so quickly?"

I chuckled and kissed her on the cheek.

"See you," she grinned, and turned to go back to the dining room.

I watched her for a moment until her red ponytail flicked around the corner behind her and disappeared. I opened the door and finally left the Paisely household. Things could have gone worse, I suppose.