18: Needless To Say...

18: Needless To Say, Society Has Moved On

~~~~~~

[Anastasia's POV]

How I let either of those idiots talk me into this was beyond me. Soon after Tyler let me go he was back in the living room with Mac, putting up decorations that needed to be hung higher than she could reach.

Apparently, this wasn't spur of the moment like many things in her life. Mackenzie had meticulously planned this little get together for months, without me knowing – another surprise. She was always known as one to have a hard time keeping secrets. Itching to tell, letting you know she had one, giving hints even. Yet, loyal enough to the secret - haver that she wasn't telling anyone anything solid.

"Um, what do I do?" I'd asked after sitting on the couch and watching them work for a while. Well... more like watching Tyler work.

Tyler instantly stopped, "Crap, I forgot to make breakfast. You're hungry, aren't you?"

I chuckled, "Calm down, it isn't that serious. We weren't even thinking about food," I said, referring to myself and the babies. As if to prove me wrong, my stomach growled, "... At least, not until you said something."

A smile tugged at the end of his lips as he got down from the step stool he'd pulled out.

Walking to the kitchen, he asked, "What do you want?" I shrugged, "What about you, Mackenzie, you already eat?"

Without taking her eyes away from what she was doing she nodded, adding, "Uh – yeah, I had something."

"Great." He opened up the refrigerator as I stood and moved to the island, watching him. When he turned back to me he held a bag with three avocados in it. "What's this?"

"Ooh," I held my hands to take them and he passed me the bag. "I got these to show you how big the babies are."

I held the bag on my stomach for a moment, glancing over at Mackenzie. She still hadn't looked this way. No, I hadn't told her or anyone else about the extra extra addition to our soon-to-be family. I suppose the baby shower would be as good a time as any to tell everyone.

"Really? I thought they'd be bigger by now."

"They would be if there were less. The more babies, the smaller they'll be and sooner they'll be born."

"Yeah," he whispered, "well, I'm kinda glad they'll be here sooner." He peeked over my shoulder at Mac, who I guess still hadn't looked over because he placed a had on my stomach. I held it there with my hands for a while. "I can't wait to see them."

I smiled as he pulled away and started breakfast. "You reading your books?"

"You know, there was a point in time when parents just figured it out and the human race miraculously survived."

"And back then pregnancy complications happened way more frequently and people hated their emotionally out of touch fathers. Needless to say, society has moved on, and should continue to do so."

Tyler just rolled his eyes before answering the original question, "Yes, I've been reading my books."

"Good," he quietly went back to cooking and I turned to Mackenzie. "Hey, Mickey, need help?"

The living room was already decked out, I couldn't possibly imagine what was left to do. Yet, the whole time she'd been taping away on her phone and giving different people directions to the apartment.

"Not really, I do need you to get dressed sometime soon though. The guest of honor can't be wearing pj's when people show up."

"They can if it's a slumber party."