Chapter 4

"You can't run away and have a little sulk fest this time, angel boy," Taemin says, backing Tao towards a lava pool.

"What's your problem? Why are you picking on me?" Tao asks, slightly outraged.

"Don't even think about trying to fly away," Minseok says, completely ignoring Tao's question. "This is our turf. We always win when we fight at home."

Tao doesn't dare look back to see how close to the edge he is. He can't risk letting down his guard in case they push him in.

"Almost there, angel boy, almost there," Taemin says with a smirk that makes Tao's skin crawl.

Tao backs up another step and feels the rock start to crumble under his feet. He resists the urge to let out his wings that are fighting to be let free.

"At least it'll be fast even if you burn alive," Taemin says in a sickly sweet voice.

If Tao wasn't so afraid for his life, he would have punched him by now.

Taemin and Minseok take another step forwards. Tao shuts his eyes and takes in a deep breath before stepping backwards. Suddenly a hand is on his back, keeping him from falling in.

"Leave," a deep, masculine voice orders.

That's when Tao notices the tall, powerfully built male beside him. Kris. The main devil. The one with the big house and a lot of power. The only devil that can fly in heaven.

Taemin and Minseok look momentarily outraged but nod and leave. Kris gently pushes Tao to stronger, more stable land.

He brings his hand up to Tao's face, turning and examining it. "Are you okay?" he asks, voice soft and worried.

Tao nods slightly. "Yeah... Th-Thank you."

Kris releases his face and simply nods. "You're staying with me for the rest of the month," he says gruffly, his voice back to being low and threatening.

Though Tao would never admit it, he loved it when Kris's voice got low and scary. He thought it made him attractive along with his chiseled body. And secretly, Tao loved how Kris kind of worried about and protected him.

"You need to be careful," Kris says, his voice firm as they walk towards his cliff. "This isn't heaven. It's not even close."

Tao nods nervously. "I-I've noticed."

They stop in front of Kris's cliff. Tao looks up at it, squinting to see the top.

"Need a lift?" Kris asks.

"Wh-What?" Tao asks, confused.

Suddenly Tao is in his arms, arms wrapped around Kris's firm neck as Kris's strong, silky black wings lift them to the top of the cliff and to Kris's house.

"You have to be able to defend yourself. I can teach you if you'd like," Kris says.

Tao nods nervously. "Okay... Th-Thanks."

Kris lands in front of his front door. Slowly, he puts Tao down, legs first then his torso. Tao quickly moves his arms back to his sides.

"Thank you," Tao says as Kris opens the door.

"After you," Kris says, gesturing Tao inside. Then, "What for?"

"Thank you," Tao says, walking into the house.

When he looks around, his breath is taken away. A high ceiling with a second floor, a large forum, and what looks like two wings. The colour scheme is blacks, whites, and dark reds.

"It's beautiful," he breathes.

Kris laughs nervously. "Thanks... Here, I'll show you around."

Tao follows Kris through the house. Kris shows him the kitchen, the washrooms, his bedroom, and Tao's bedroom just across the hall from his own.

"Settle in, I'll get your stuff delivered to you," Kris says as they stand at the door of Tao's new room.

"Thank you... For this, and everything else you've done for me today," Tao says, bowing.

When he looks up, he gives Kris a small smile which he returns. "Don't worry about it. I'm going to train you though. Tomorrow morning, five sharp."

Tao nods. "Okay... Where?"

"Right here. I'll show you where we'll practice tomorrow," Kris answers.

"A surprise?" Tao asks.

"A surprise," Kris confirms.