Chapter 8

"Why?" Kris asks.

There's silence and then, "Because I'm the head devil, that meant I was first an angel and the only one who was thought to be able to survive in hell?"

Tao's breath catches in his throat and he almost trips into the room from his hiding spot outside the door.

"Hey, one second," Kris says.

Tao hears Kris's footsteps coming closer and quickly goes to hide but doesn't know where to go. He quickly hides behind the door nearby.

"Hey Tao, I know you're there... Just come out, okay?" Kris says. "It's okay, I'm not mad."

Tao nervously steps out from behind the door to see Kris holding his hand over the mic of the phone. Tao nods before following Kris into the room.

"Okay... So what am I then? An angel?" Kris asks, putting the phone up to his ear.

"Exactly. That's why you have feathers on your wings," Luhan explains. "They stop growing when you're 25."

"So... Soon," Kris says.

"Yeah..." Luhan says.

"And it's entirely possible that I could be a guardian angel?" Kris asks.

"Of course," Luhan answers. "...Why?"

"I think... I'm Tao's guardian angel," Kris says quietly.

Luhan goes silent.

"I have a question," Tao says, his voice loud in the awkward silence.

"Yes?" Luhan asks.

"Do devils have guardian angels?" Tao asks.

"No... Well, yes. But usually only a few. They are very rare... Usually one in every million..." Luhan says.

"Could anyone be a guardian angel for a devil?" Tao asks.

Luhan pauses, taking his lip into his mouth as he contemplates his question. Out of the corner of his eye, he notices Sehun standing outside of the room, watching him.

"Technically, yes," Luhan says, looking over to see Sehun letting himself into the room. "But it's most often the head angel, so myself. And even then, it's very rare that a devil would find their guardian angel."

"So you could be a guardian angel," Tao says.

"Yes," Luhan answers.

"You could be my guardian angel?" Sehun asks.

"Is it rare that Kris hyung is my guardian angel?" Tao asks.

Luhan nods absent mindedly to Sehun. "Yes... Only certain angels can be guardian angels... As you know."

Tao hums through the phone. "I know."

"Tao, go do something," Kris mutters through the phone, pushing Tao away with the palm of his hand.

Tao grunts in annoyance and pouts which Kris only smiles at before returning his attention to Luhan. Dejected, Tao leaves the room and slumps down just outside, sitting with his back against the wall.

"You need to talk?" Luhan asks.

"Obviously," Kris mutters.

Luhan motions that Sehun should go and he does, busying himself in the kitchen, now trying to successfully reach plates without dropping them.

"What's up?" Luhan asks.

"I like Tao," Kris says flatly.

"So?" Luhan asks.

"He's my ward..." Kris says.

"So?" Luhan repeats. "What's the deal with that? There's no problem with that."

"I... I know," Kris answers. "But... It's never happened before."

"There's always a time for new beginnings," Luhan says simply.

Kris sighs. "I've never grown fond of anyone... Nothing even close to how I feel about him."

"It's natural for a guardian angel to be fond of their ward. It's natural for them to really like them," Luhan says.

Luhan can practically see Kris shrugging on the other side of the line, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Yeah, okay," Kris says, sounding defeated.

"Sorry Yifan... I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear," Luhan murmurs softly.

Kris sighs. "It really wasn't..."

"Sorry... Stay by his side, okay?" Luhan adds before hanging up.

He looks over to see Sehun holding one plate and a glass. The glass is half filled with water but the plate is empty.

He wanders over to Sehun. "Did you get something to eat?"

"I... I can't open the fridge..." Sehun admits, embarrassed as he rubs the back of his neck.

Luhan chuckles before pulling on the fridge door and opening it with ease. Sehun flushes before thanking Luhan and quickly running off, flustered and extremely embarrassed that a little angel could open the door and he couldn't.

"Sehun!" Luhan calls after him but gives up when Sehun doesn't slow his pace.

Luhan sighs, shaking his head slightly before starting to make a sandwich for Sehun.

~

Sorry it's a little short...

Ward - what Tao is to Kris, someone who has a guardian angel