34. Mysterious Ways

Calliope Jane Edwards

"So I was thinking if we could go and check on the cake and perhaps see if the dress still fits you. We cannot have it wrong in the last week at all." Sophia announced as we sat for breakfast at my house.

My world was peaceful until Sophia came back from Glasgow. Do not mistake me and think that I don't like her but I never enjoy having the very conscious and strict Sophia especially when you're the bride.

"Well, may I get some answers from you?" She tapped her mug to get my attention.

"Yeah, whatever you say. You're lucky that Paul doesn't want me in very early." I reply and go back to having my scrambled egg and bacon.

"Oh my God, Callie! Do you know how much of calories one bacon strip has?!" I heard her gasp as I took a bite of my bacon.

"Soph, let her have in peace now will you. She will control herself when she needs to." Liam stops her.

Thank you Liam.

"Callie, I'm warning you. If that gown of yours is even a little tight-" "I will eat dozens of chocolates and tubs of ice creams I really don't care about that gown right now, Sophia." I got up from my seat and walked to place my plate in the sink.

"It's been a rough week." I heard Dani say.

"And there will be plenty more ahead. Ice creams and chocolates don't solve anything." Sophia replied.

Remind me again why my mother would invite her over for breakfast and leave for work leaving Dani and me with her?

I take a mug and pour some hot water from the kettle and placed a tea bag in it. I walk back to the table and sat next to Dani.

"Dani will you be joining us?" Sophia asked her.

"Sure, got no work to do." Dani nodded and finished her sandwich.

"Great, now go and dress up while I settle the dishes." She got up and took Dani's and Liam's plate along with her to the sink.

Dani got up and went upstairs leaving Liam and me at the table. I let out sigh and got up with my cup and walked upstairs to get ready for the day.

---

"So we go to the cakes first and then go to the gown shop." Sophia told us as she drove the car.

I sigh and looked out the window.

"Just a thought I hope but I haven't heard about the flowers of the decorator contacting us about the church." I heard Dani say and that's when I remembered we never thought of the church being decorated for the wedding.

"We need to stop over by the church. We need to have a word with them and get their permission." I turn and tell Sophia. She nodded her head and concentrated on driving the car.

We parked the car in front of the cake shop and walked in. The smell of freshly baked cakes filled the air making Dani and I look at each other and had only one thought in mind.

We want cake!

At that moment my eyes fell on Sophia and the thought of having cake just evaporated. We walked up to the main counter and I met the lady that helped Jacob and me with deciding our cake.

Today we were to choose our final design for the cake. Sophia came up with some ideas and Dani and she sat together to come up with a good design. Jacob was happy with the design, after all it will be our wedding cake.

Considering the number of guests we are expecting, we're having a eight tier cake. We changed our choices a little and made it Rich Chocolate cake with French Vanilla butter cream and White Vanilla cake with Lemon curd filling.