Chapter 4

Jared hadn’t lived up to his promise. I still didn’t know what he knew and it irritated me. I knew that I couldn’t be too angry at Jared, he did help me and right now he was sitting in the lounge room of the apartment he had us in. He was keeping watch and it made me feel bad for the way I had treated him today. I could hear the soft snores coming from my friends, it would be so nice to curl up and join them in sleep. But there was a problem. I couldn’t sleep; I can’t sit here while my mum is out there somewhere.

            I got out of bed and slipped my Converse shoes back on my feet. I slipped out of the room and walked down the hallway towards the front door. I reached out and clasped the door handles in my hands. I pulled down on the handle and the door opened with a soft click. I pulled the door open and breathed in the fresh air.

            “Where do you think you’re going?” Jared asked.

            I looked over my shoulder with a smirk. “That’s none of your business.”

            Jared grabbed me and threw me back into the room; he slammed the door so hard that it felt as if the apartment would fall apart. Jared turned to face me with his arms crossed over his chest.

            “Where were you going?” Jared demanded.

            “Outside,” I snapped.

            “It’s dangerous—”

            “How is it dangerous? You haven’t told me a thing,” I growled cutting him off.

            Jared’s eyes swept over the apartment; once he had finished looking he grabbed my shoulder and dragged me towards the lounge room. He shoved me into the chair and my casual gaze turned icy.

            “What the hell?” I demanded, “you think that you can push me around.”

            Jared groaned. “Do you want me to explain things to you or not?”

            I sighed. “Yeah, I want to know.”

            “There is a group of people known as The Assassins. They’re after you because they want you to use against your mum,” Jared explained. “Your mother has information that could destroy the country. But now they have your mum, they know that you will come after her and they’re still going to use you against her. That was why I was following you around, we had been tipped off that The Assassins were going to attack today.”

            Eliza was a federal agent that had been transferred to the Gold Coast to help assist the police, no wonder Jared knew this information. I remembered how she had ignored my questions about her work and I realized that she had protected me.

            “We have to find her,” I said.

            “Let the police do it,” Jared insisted.

            “Jared, I need to find her she’s the only one that has been there for me when I needed her,” I whispered.

            I stood up from the couch and began to walk away. Jared grabbed my arm but this time I didn’t resist his touch, I looked over my shoulder to see him staring at me with concerned eyes. Over Jared’s shoulder I saw movement. I peered over his shoulder and I saw people staring into the window.

            “Jared,” I whispered.

            He let go of me and turned around to see what I was looking at.