Chapter 9

The grey haired receptionist looked up at us with a bored expression. She looked me first then quickly moved her attention to Will; she smiled a fake smile when she met his eye.  

            “How can I help you, Officer?” she asked in a sugar sweet voice.

            “I’m looking for Jared Branch, he was admitted into your hospital earlier today,” Will replied.

            The receptionist turned towards a computer, she began typing away. We waited in silence while she tried to locate Jared.

            “His in the Recovery Ward and only one of you can see him,” the receptionist said adding emphasises on ‘see’.

            “I can’t let this girl out of my sight,” Will replied. He gestured to me and I took a step closer to the desk.

            The receptionist turned to look at me properly. Her eyes turned icy when she got a proper look at me features, I waited patiently for the words that were about to come out of her mouth.

            “Oh, so this is the girl that has been causing so much trouble over the city,” she said in a sarcastic tone.

            “She must come with me,” Will stated.

            “Fine!” the receptionist snapped. “But it’s your fault if you get into trouble.”

            “Thanks,” Will replied.

            He led me through the hospital towards a set of elevators, the doors opened and a bunch of people filed out. Will and I walked in; he reached up and pressed a button.

            “You seem to know where you are going,” I noted.

            “You’d be surprised what are work forces us to do,” he replied.

            We rode the elevator until the doors opened again. Will led me through stacks of hallways and wards until we reached the Recovery Ward. A doctor leaned against a desk talking to a bunch of nurses, Will walked towards them and I reluctantly followed. I just wanted to see Jared.

            “Doctor Branch,” Will said. “Have you seen Jared?”

            The man turned around to look at us. “Will, they won’t let me see him.”

            “But you’re his father,” Will replied.

            “They believe that it’d corrupt my work but not seeing him is!” Doctor Branch complained.

            Will peered over the doctor’s shoulder so that he could speak to the nurses. “What about me? Can I see him?”

            “Sorry Officer,” one of the nurses replied. “It’ll corrupt your decisions.”

            “What about me?” I asked.

            “You can go,” the nurse said.

            “Where is he?” I asked.

            “Room three-oh-one,” she replied pointing in the direction.

            I nodded and walked towards the room. I could hear Doctor Branch and Will arguing with the nurses behind me. I ignored them and read the numbers above the doors until I reached Jared’s room. I walked silently into the room to find Jared still asleep but he was stirring slightly. I stood above and looked down at his face, waiting for his eyes to open.