Chapter 5

Two days. Two days could change a person’s life forever. I sat in bed looking out the window, waiting for another attack from The Assassins. The others were still pretty shaken up from the last attack; after all they did see me kill someone. Blake’s dead body was branded into my head forever; I still looked down at my hands and look for the gun that had ended his life.

            After I had killed Blake, Jared had shepherded us out of the apartment forcing to leave the clothes we had brought behind. I made Jared wait for me so that I could go back and grab my bag with all of my lyrics in it. Afterwards we had left the apartment and now while the others slept I was sitting awake in the room that I shared with Emma.

            Smoke still smouldered in places from the fires. The disturbing scene didn’t help the mood I was feeling. I wrapped my arms around my knees. The hours passed by slowly and as the time went by I knew that I had to get out of the room, I needed to see if Jared was awake.

            I slipped out of bed and tip-toed down the hallway towards the lounge room. I gazed inside to see if Jared was awake but he wasn’t. I could hear his soft snore; I sighed and turned for the front door. If I couldn’t talk to Jared then I was going to have to get some fresh air. I placed my hand on the cool, smooth door handle. I took a deep breath as I opened the door, I pushed it open and I stepped into the hallway outside the apartment.

            My heart raced and the adrenaline pumped through my veins. I felt free for the first time in a few days. I turned to close the door to see Jared leaning against the door frame. I jumped to see him standing behind me. I slipped back inside and closed the door.

            “You need fresh air,” Jared stated.

            “Yes,” I whispered.

             Jared grabbed my arm and led me to the lounge room that led out to a balcony. He unlocked the door with one hand and opened it. He let go of my arm and I practically dove through the door out into the crisp night air. I gulped the air in not wanting to leave this place. I staggered over to the railing and placed my hands on the cold metal.

            “This is exactly what I needed,” I whispered.

            Jared came and stood beside me. “It’s nice to get some fresh air.”

            I smiled. “It is.”

            We stood in silence and that’s how I liked it, just to have some peace felt so good. The cool wind ruffled my hair and caressed my face making my smile grow wider. It had been two days since I’ve smiled. I started to feel better inside; I guess that’s what happiness does. The wind brought the smell of the ocean with it and for the first time in two days I felt free. The only problem was that the cold air made me shiver.

            Jared noticed that I was shivering and he lifted his arm up to wrap around my shoulders. I edged away from him, Blake’s words slammed around my head like a wrecking ball. If I find out that you’re lying about your friend then I’ll kill him.

            “Don’t touch me,” I grumbled.

            I couldn’t make eye contact with Jared because he’ll know that I was keeping something from him. I wrapped my arms around myself to keep me warm.

            “Do you have a boyfriend?” Jared asked.

            I shook my head. “Nope.”

            “Then why won’t you let me touch you?” Jared demanded.

            “It’s complicated,” I muttered my response.