Chapter 10

The Fifth Seat of Squad Eleven sighed as he saw his friend on the porch, one leg hanging off the side while the other was being used as an arm rest. The bald Third Seat was taking another long sip on his bottle of sake, taking a moment to wipe at his mouth.

“How long do you plan on moping around here? You look as depressed as a kid whose dog got kicked. It’s quite unsightly.”

Ikkaku snorted, not sparing Yumichika a single glance. “I’m not depressed.” He stubbornly said.

Again Yumichika sighed as he leaned against a beam, carefully running a hand through his hair. “It’s been how many weeks now since you threw that ugly temper at her?”

“Don’t know who you’re talking about.”

“You’re acting like such a rotten child.”

Ikkaku finally turned to glare at Yumichika. “She’s the one acting like a rotten child!” He barked.

Yumichika gave a coy smirk. “So you do know who I was referring to.” He spoke, gaining an irritated ‘tsk’ from Ikkaku.

“You only care cause she hasn’t been around to comb through your hair.”

It was the Fifth seat’s turn to ‘tsk’. His hand flicked through his locks one last time before he turned his head up, crossing his arms. “I can keep myself well groomed without her help, unlike someone I know. Though if that same someone hadn’t run their foul mouth, then she’d still visit and I’d still have my little hairdresser.”

“Care to elaborate on that, Yumichika.” Ikkaku gritted his teeth, threateningly.

“You heard me.”

Ikkaku stood to his feet. “Why do you even stick up for her?! She deserved to be yelled at like that!”

Yumichika’s eyes narrowed dangerously, finally at his ends rope with Ikkaku’s attitude towards Isako. “She may have left this squad; she may have acted differently to us that day when her Lieutenant showed up to take her back, but she didn’t deserve to hear any of what you said.”

“Always standing up for her.” Ikkaku growled, “I don’t get you at all.”

Yumichika glanced off to the side, a frown on his face. “I have my reasons.”  

Truth was, that he and Isako were a lot closer than people ever realized. It had taken only a single slip up from both of them during a private spar, for them to come to an understanding with one another—and a truce.

“Shit…” Isako gritted her teeth. She had underestimated Yumichika to the point where she was forced to release her Zanpakuto. She had only meant to force him to keep his distance, using only the ball end of her chain, but a calculation error had been made on her part and the man had accidentally been nicked across the face by the blade end.