Chapter 2

A/N: Warning of the usual language and violence. Some things may be slightly different or majorly; just depends on my OC. Thanks for reading and please leave feedback of some kind for this story.^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of a hollow’s dying cry, sounded along the forest’s edge as soon as it had been sliced across its mask by a sword. Isako landed without a sound and turned around to face the disintegrating monster, before she turned to the portion of the squad she was left in charge of while her captain and lieutenant had split into their own groups to rid the area of hollows.

“3rd Seat Tsuchiya!” One of the unranked officers in her group exclaimed as he ran to be by her side.

“Report.” She gave the quick order as she sheathed her weapon and walked through her group to assess any injuries that anyone might have sustained.

“The Northern and Eastern sections of the area we are charged with have been thoroughly cleared of any hollows. However, in the West and South, there are several small ones still running about.”

“We will regroup and head off to those remaining sections of our assigned area to deal with them before we meet back up with Captain Tossen and Lieutenant Hisagi.”

“Yes ma’am! You heard her men; regroup to head back out!” The unnamed officer shouted to the group which had been quickly tending to any injured.

With confidence in every step as well as with a concentrated expression, Isako took the lead and everyone disappeared to go to the next areas of their targets. It wasn’t long since they had arrived, that the hollows could be seen flying or stomping about while searching for a meal. It was supposed to be a simple and quick dispatching of the beasts, but midway through their operation, the ground shook and cracked, before it soon became silent, however the disturbance had been enough to cause uncertainty and doubt in the shinigami under Isako’s command.

“Hold formation!” Isako quickly ordered to keep the men from scattering and leaving themselves open.

The small hollows also seemed to grow nervous of the large tremor that had just taken place, and several gave nervous screeches. They should have kept quiet though, for the ground cracked violently and a large claw shot out from the earth and snatched a hollow from above, jerking it back to the earth and from view as it disappeared underneath the cracked earth with a sickening crunch. The loud, intimidating grumble from underneath finally was what had caused the shinigami to panic, several shouting and questioning what on earth kind of hollow could be beneath them that consumed other hollows.

“Everyone, quiet! Calm yourselves!” Isako bellowed as the men’s movements only seemed to excite the creature hidden below, causing the earth to rumble as the beast finally decided to surface.

The mole-like giant threw its head back and gave a shrill of a cry that caused the world to tremble before it shifted to observe the group of shinigami; picking out its first meal from the bunch. Despite its large size, one of its quick claws shot forth and caught an unlucky shinigami; bring it to its open mouth which was filled with many sharp teeth. The man cried out in fear as he swung his unreleased zanpakuto wildly in an attempt to free himself. Sadly the shinigami was consumed and the hollow shot its claw out to capture another shinigami to devour.

“Scatter!” Isako cried out over the shrill of the hollow’s roar, dodging the earth that had risen as the hollow-mole lifted itself further out from the ground and smashed its front claws to the ground.

In the chaos, several of the men were taken by surprise by the smaller hollows that had been overlooked due to the current giant that was terrorizing the land. Many were severely injured while some of the more unlucky ones were eaten. Screaming and blood filled the area at an alarming rate, to the point where Isako was forced to have to release her zanpakuto. She leapt up into the air and threw her scythe-like sickled blade forward, aiming at the beast’s mask in hope of ending the battle quickly, but the weapon bounced off the hard shell of its mask. She cursed her luck as the hollow’s attention was now focused on her and it brought one of its claws up to capture Isako, but she wouldn’t have it capture her so easily. In a quick flicker, she disappeared and reappeared behind the hollow, looking over her left shoulder to see the spray of blood that shot out from the hollows back causing the hollow to shrill in pain and turn around to where it sensed Isako.