Part 6

Previously:

I turned to Ian and said (and air-quoted) “Explain how ‘sleeping with me’ is something I misheard?”

“What?” Derek asked confused and angry at the same time.

“It’s not what you think, Mel,” Ian tried to explain.

“Were you going to sleep with her?” Derek asked.

“Well,” Ian hesitated. That’s when Derek punched Ian’s jaw.

“Get off my property!” Derek yelled and then caught Ian by his shirt and said, “I swear if I ever see you near my sister again I’ll make sure that you’ll never be able to walk or have kids ever again.”

Ian nodded. Derek let go of Ian and Ian ran off. By running I meant he got in his car and drove off.

 _______________________________________________

Chapter six

“Are you gonna tell me everything?” Derek asked.

I slowly nodded. I guess I could tell him everything. He’s trustworthy right?

I walked into the kitchen to wash my face and get some chips for me. “Where were you?” I heard dad ask.

“Umm in my room, then I went out to get some air” Derek answered.

“Not you, Derek,” dad said and looked at me.

“I went to catch a movie,” I said, it wasn’t entirely a lie.

“And now,” Derek interrupted, “we’re going to the park.”

“It’s late,” dad said sternly.

“Mel and I will only be gone for an hour,” Derek pleaded using his puppy dog eyes.

“Alright, but don’t get lost,” dad warned.

Derek rolled his eyes and pulled me out.

We walked slowly to the park. “Since when did you start dating?” Derek asked me confused.

I looked at the grey foot path and said, “since today”. I opened the chips packet and started eating it.

“And the guy turns out to be a jerk,” he said.

I just shrugged when I said “I guess fate was trying to warn me. I’m never getting a boyfriend again.”

“You can’t really give up,” Derek said.

“It’s better that way,” I said and sat on the black wooden bench.

He sat beside me and asked: “Can you tell me everything now?”

I nodded and said: “well there’s not much to tell. He was being really sweet to me and then he asked me out.” I looked at Derek who had a patient face. I shook my head in frustration and said, “I’m so stupid! I can’t believe I fell for him. Normal people would just have guessed his intentions.”

“It’s ok,” Derek said and put his arm around my shoulder, “you prevented it from going further.”

“Further?” I asked.

“I mean it’s just your first date right,” he pointed out, “nothing serious could have happened.”

I touched my lips gently with my fingertips. “What?” he asked.

“He kissed me,” I whispered.

“He did what?” Derek asked angry.

“He kissed me,” I whispered again, the tears seemed to start flowing again, “I kissed him back.”

“It’s ok,” Derek said and rubbed my shoulders, “stop crying, it’s not your fault.”

“I’m sorry,” I said and wiped my tears.

“Why are you doing this?” I asked him after 5 minutes of silence.

“Huh?” he asked.

“Why are you talking to me? You almost never spoke to me when you were in high school,” I explained.

“I never spoke to you?” he asked confused.

“Not really,” I said giving him a weak smile.

“I wasn’t aware of that,” he smiled and tightened his arms around my shoulder, “You know I love you, right?”

I nodded and said: “Yeah, you proved it tonight.”

“Good,” he said and kissed my forehead. “Do you want to know a secret? I swear not many people know about this.”

“Yes,” I said excited.

“You have to promise not to tease me about this,” he begged.

“I won’t! Now tell me!” I said excited.

“I like someone,” he said and smiled shyly.

“Ooh, Who?” I asked.

“You know Beth, right?” he asked and looked at his shoes.

“Oh my Gosh!” I exclaimed, “I was right!”

“I never told you that!” he exclaimed.

“It’s written all over your face!” I told him.

“Does she know?” he asked panicking.

“No, she doesn’t,” I laughed. Even though Derek likes Beth I couldn’t tell him that Beth liked him back.

“Good! She can’t ever find out. She’ll never speak to me again,” Derek said.

“Drama queen,” I said and pulled his cheeks.

“I am not,” he said and messed my hair.