88 - Emmy

Tabs shakes the box of brownies between us and I hear the sound of impending doom.  We've almost eaten the entire lot.

"So you'll take me to the studios tomorrow?"

I stop filing my nails to tap the file against my pursed lips.  "Did I say that?"  I look ceiling wards, pinching my brows together like I'm thinking hard about something.  When I look forwards again Tabs is pouting.

"You promised."

Teasing her never gets old but seeing as I don't see her much anymore, I don't play it out for any longer.   "Oh yeah," I say, drumming the file against my head.  "I remember now."

Tabs beams.  "Do you think they'll mind me coming too?"

I shake my head and the thought of showing Tabs what I've been up to since I've been in London gets me excited.  "Of course not.  I mean, Stan's a bit gruff, but he's actually a teddy bear once you get to know him.  I think I was the first one to make him smile in ages.  Years even.  The album's pretty much finished though so we probably won't be recording anything.  Maybe just checking stuff.  I don't know; I haven't ever done this before."

Tabs laughs and I assume it's at my sudden burst in conversation.  "Obviously.  I just wanna see inside a recording studio.  I bet it's all high-tech and stuff."

"Put it this way, as tempting as it is to press all the buttons on the mixing desk at once I know it would take me all my life to replace whatever I'd end up breaking."

"You haven't even touched one button?"  Tabs looks disbelieving.  "Wow.  That's some self-control there."

I laugh and tuck into my eighth or ninth brownie of the hour.  "Like I said, I don't have the money to replace what I break."

"You might have soon," Tabs says, copying me in eating more of the delicious calorie packed treats between us.  "It depends whether you sell loads of CDs I guess."

I push myself up on my bed so I'm sitting with my back against the wall.  "Exactly.  If we don't do well, we'll be dropped."

"That won't happen," she replies instantly.  "Really Emmy, for someone so weird and out there, you really don't believe in yourself enough."

I snort.  "You sound like Mum."

Tabs widens her eyes.  "Shut up!  Seriously though, I reckon you'll sell millions.  You'll be world famous and then you can buy me a lifetimes supply of brownies."  She points to the now empty box.  "That makes me sad."

Laughing, I reach down under my bed and pull out my secret stash of snacks.  "Muffin?"

She giggles and rips open the package I'm offering her.  "You really haven't changed a bit."

"Good."  I smile. "I don't want to think that being in London, trying to get famous, is making me go all crazy and big headed."

"You're too cool for that."

I squeeze Tabs so hard she drops her muffin on the duvet, spilling crumbs everywhere.  I look to the floor at where her makeshift bed is pushed up against my wardrobe so we can still walk around without tripping over blankets.  In truth, I can't remember the last time I slept in Ollie's old bed.  It feels weird to sleep without Sam cuddling into me.  Last night had been okay; I'd spent most of the night chatting to Tabs rather than sleeping anyway, but another night without Sam doesn't sit well with me.

"You might as well sleep here," I say, pointing to the bed we're lounging on.

"But where will you..."  She stops herself before she finishes.  Her confused expression clears in an instant, replaced with a knowing look.

I have to fight not to blush.  "Oh whatever."

She squeals.  If I had my eyes closed, I would have assumed I was in the same room as Holly or Jasmine.  "Emmy!  That's mega cute."

I roll my eyes.  "Whatever."

As much as I love Tabs, I'm not about to discuss my sleeping habits with her.  It's not like Sam and I have done anything other than kissing and cuddling, but even talking about that with her is unappealing.  We're close, but I'm not ready to be asked a million and one questions.

"I'm gonna find Sam.  Coming?"

Tabs bounds up from the bed in an instant.  "Sure.  Do you think he'll show me his guitar or something?"

"I don't see why not," I say, glancing over my shoulder to see her following me into the lounge.  When I turn back around I stumble straight into someone.  Red hair blurs my vision and tickles my cheeks and cinnamon perfume fills my nose.  "Alex!"  I pull her back towards me no sooner than we've stepped away from each other.

"Hey Emmy."  She's already smiling but it stretches to a beam when she spots Tabs behind me.  "Hey stranger!"

Tabs has no choice but to be pulled into a massive hug. "Hi Alex."  She sounds confused and I know she's wondering why Alex is in London.  Still, I don't think before I speak.

"How did the date go?"  I look around the room, finding Vince, Sam and Ollie huddled on the sofas.  No doubt Vince is being interrogated right now.  Sam and Ollie have been keeping on to him for days, trying to get Vince to spill details on his date plans but he's kept schtum, much to my enjoyment.

Alex's face flushes and she pulls Tabs and I back towards Ollie's old room.  "He is so sweet you guys."

I can't help beaming at her reaction.  I'm so happy for both of them.  "That's great.  Did he ask you out yet?"

She shakes her head.  "I think he's still a little bit nervous."

The idea of Vince being nervous makes me want to laugh but I hold it in.  I've only known Vince for a couple of months but there's no doubt that he comes across as confident one hundred percent of the time.  He's the mouthpiece.  The one that's always got an answer for everything. 

"It won't be long," I assure her.  "He's really into you."

"Who are we talking about?"

I start, only then remembering that Tabs is standing right beside me.  I bite my lip, casting a cautious glance at Alex.  She doesn't know about Tabs' crush on Vince and it's too late to give her the heads up.

"Vince," Alex says, letting out a breathy sigh.   "He finally took me on a date."

I hold my breath, knowing I can't do anything but wait for Tabs' reaction.  There's a moment of silence between us, the boys banter background noise, and then I see realisation dawn on Tabs' face.

"That's so cute," she says, the enthusiasm in her voice sounding not at all forced.

I feel myself cock an eyebrow but I'm quick to wipe it away.

"I know!"  Alex is gushing again; her cheeks rosy and her eyes all shiny and wide.  "I really, really like him."

I study Tabs as she processes Alex's words.  There's no doubt that she looks a little crestfallen, but you have to look really closely to see it.  On the surface she looks genuinely happy for Alex and I know that, after she's had some alone time to really adjust to the idea of Vince not only being taken, but in a relationship with my best friend, she'll be more than fine about it.  Tabs doesn't hold grudges, and that's one of the million reasons why I'm glad she's my sister.

Alex stays to watch a film with us before leaving just before midnight.  Tabs is yawning like crazy while she waits for Ollie to finish in the bathroom so she can clean her teeth.  I get a goodnight hug and then she's gone.  She'll be asleep in minutes.  When I spot Sam sidling into the bedroom, a mischievous look in his eyes, I know I won't be.