36 - Emmy

Dedicated to heart_vacancy!  Thanks for the votes.  This part is mega short, so I'm sorry, but I like it that way :)

Sam stretches his arms above his head but his blue pyjama top doesn't raise above the waistband of his trousers, leaving me feeling strangely disappointed.  I'm not pervy like Vince, but the fact that Sam is so tall and broad leaves me wondering whether he works out at all.  I mean, in the almost two weeks that I've been here he hasn't gone to the gym, at least not to my knowledge, so it makes me wonder if he's hiding weights in his room or something.  I smile to myself.

"It's your turn."

"I didn't know we were taking turns."

Sam shrugs.  "Might as well."

I look around the room for inspiration but find nothing until my eyes rest on the mug on the draining board.  "Why do you like that blue mug so much?"

Sam sits up, bunching his legs closer to his chest.  "My parents gave it to me years ago."

My forehead creases with a slight frown and Sam seems to catch it.

"They live abroad now," he continues.  "Australia.  They're retired.  Mum had me when she was thirty-five and Dad was thirty-eight.  They were the career focused couple in their company, some computer firm, and kids were kind of an afterthought.  Almost three years after me they had Ollie."

I nod. "Oh."

He smiles.  "The mug reminds me of them.  You probably think that's stupid and I'm a sentimental wally."

I smile back.  "Being a sentimental wally is cute."

We both realise my words at the same time but Sam just laughs as my inability not be tactful. 

"I mean."  I pause, playing with my hair.  "Yeah.  Your turn."

"Do you have any siblings?"

I nod.  "Just my sister, Tabatha.  She's fifteen."

Sam points at me.  "Yeah, I remember.  She thinks I'm a dick."

I stifle a laugh behind my hand.  "That was when you were being a jerk to me."

"True.  But that was also when I didn't know you."

I raise an eyebrow, leaning forwards.  "And what changed?"

He looks at me, a solemn expression in his brown eyes.  "I realised you were actually pretty cool.  And talented."

"Oh."  I chew on my lip.

"And funny and smart.  And a little bit crazy."

I laugh.  "Just a bit crazy?"

He sniggers.  "Okay, a lot crazy."

"Next question," I say, even though I'm enjoying getting compliments from Sam.  They seem to mean more, even when compared to Vince's remark about me being beautiful.  "How many instruments can you play?"

He splays the fingers on one hand. "Guitar, piano, drums, bass guitar and the mighty recorder."

"Hey!" I exclaim.  "I play the recorder too."

We both laugh at the one instrument everyone seems to play in British primary schools. 

"My turn," Sam says.  "One word to describe me."

I'm stuck with how to answer for a second, before my reply hits me like a freight train.  "Complicated."

Sam cocks an eyebrow.  "How so?"

I smile at his expression.  "You're hard to work out.  Like, one minute I think we're friends, and then the next you frown and I'm not so sure."  I shift on the sofa, my breath catching when my legs graze Sam's.  "Like now, for instance.  It's half eleven at night and we're both chatting like we've been friends forever, but then tomorrow you might not speak to me until lunch time and I'm left feeling like I've done something wrong."

I don't laugh at Sam's expression.  It's reserved and thoughtful and I don't know how I'm supposed to decipher it, but then he reaches over to me and pats my knee.  The gesture is sort of awkward but at the same time it's reassuring.  Plus it makes my skin tingle, even through my trousers.

"I'm sorry."

My reply gets lodged in my throat for a second, shock seeming to paralyze my vocal chords.  "It's okay.  I mean, it's not like you asked for me to join your band."

He shakes his head.  "No.  I was an ass to you and I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have assumed it was going to be the same as last time."  He pauses and his chest rises and falls with a deep breath. "I shouldn't have assumed you were going to be exactly like Michelle."

"It really is okay," I manage, even though I'm stunned at his apology.  I hadn't been aiming to get one, but now I've heard it it's like the air's cleared in the room.  "I shouldn't have been rude to you on that first day."

Sam smiles.  "You weren't rude.  Besides, I needed that kick up the ass.  I get a bit complacent sometimes.  Like, I like things my own way.  I don't like change."

I nod.  "My mum's like that.  I think that's why she freaked out about me moving out at eighteen.  She's scared I'm going to fall on my face."  I smile.  "Dad says I'm the do now think about it later kind of daughter."

"Ollie says I'm too uptight," Sam says almost to himself.  "I try not to be so boring, but I can't help it."

"Being uptight doesn't make you boring," I reply.  "Being careful makes you a thoughtful person.  Sometimes I think I'm too brash."

"Let's settle for both being imperfect, huh?"

We share a smile and I nod.  "Yes.  Being imperfect sounds like the way to go."

"Cool.  Now, it's your turn to ask a question."